cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Closing an old bt email account

Hi, please can anyone help me.  I no longer have Bt broadband.  My friends tell me they get dubious messages from me on my old BT email account.  I’d like to cancel it but I can’t figure it out.  Can anyone help?

thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Closing an old bt email account

If you are not using the email account it is doubtful that your account is sending dubious emails from it.

What is more likely is that your email address has been "spoofed" so that it appears that the dubious emails are coming from that account when in fact they are coming from a completely different email address.

If you get your friend to hover their mouse over the email address of the email or to check the "headers" of the email it will show true email address of where the email originated from.

If this is what is happening it is pointless trying to do anything to your old email account because that is not where the email is coming from therefore deleting the account would not prevent the emails.

In any event if you have not used the "old" BT email address with in 150 days it will automatically be deleted by BT.

See link about BT deleting email accounts and what "spoofing" is.

Why has my email address been suspended or deleted? | BT Help

How do I close or delete an email account? | BT Help

Email spoofing - Wikipedia

All you can do is tell your friend that you no longer use that email account and to treat anything that comes from it as spam and not to open it and just delete it.

0 Ratings