Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Closure of Disposable Email Address Service

Go to solution

Hi, I'm just wondering if my family and I have been the victim of some sort of elaborate scam.

On 21 August we each received an email from BT Broadband informing us that BT were closing their disposable email address service. Apparently from 25 September we would no longer be able to send emails from our disposable addresses (i.e. those with the 'mybtinternet.com' domain name) and in January 2019 we would stop receiving them.

I presumed the email was genuine because it told me exactly how many disposable addresses I had and also there was a link to a BT web page with the details (www.bt.com/dea-closure). If it was a scam, I don't know what the perpetrator was hoping to achieve other than a bit (OK, a lot) of nuisance value.

What makes me now suspicious is that I would have thought there would have been quite a bit of public outcry about this, but I can't find anything. Are we the only people who use these disposable addresses? Also I can still send emails out from my disposable addresses a day later than I was told I couldn't do.

Can you please confirm that the email I received from BT was genuine or have I updated loads of email addresses unnecessarily? Still I suppose the upside to this I that have now at least managed to consolidate my emails.  

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Closure of Disposable Email Address Service

Go to solution

It is not a scam. The email is genuine. You will lose the disposable email address eventually.

0 Ratings
Paulus47
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
OK, many thanks for letting me know.
0 Ratings
lostinespace
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

I can't believe that BT are doing this again. I was annoyed when I was told I could not have any new disposable addresses but having to go through ninety yes 90 companies and change my email address again. How can companies like BT get away with treating their customers so badly. To make it even worse they tell you "It's part of our work to upgrade and improve the overall email service we offer you. " How crass is that.

Please please please don't improve it any more.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

The whole point of 'disposable' addresses is that they are used once and then discarded, if you intended to use an address long term then a sub-account would have been more appropriate.

lostinespace
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you for your thoughts but I did not use disposable addresses as temporary addresses. I used them as they are defined in Wikipedia as "Disposable email addressing, also known as DEA or dark mail, refers to an approach where a unique email address is used for every contact or entity. The benefit is that if anyone compromises the address or utilises it in connection with email abuse, the address owner can easily cancel it without affecting any of their other contacts." I set one up for each new company I deal with and if I start getting spam directed to one of my disposable addresses, I know which company has leaked my email address and I can then delete that email address so that it doesn't happen again.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@lostinespace wrote:

I can't believe that BT are doing this again. I was annoyed when I was told I could not have any new disposable addresses but having to go through ninety yes 90 companies and change my email address again. How can companies like BT get away with treating their customers so badly. To make it even worse they tell you "It's part of our work to upgrade and improve the overall email service we offer you. " How crass is that.

Please please please don't improve it any more.

I don't understand the part where you say "I can't believe that BT are doing this again".

BT are not doing it "again". It would appear to be just the end part of the process of stopping the use of disposable email addresses.

If I recall correctly emails were sent out by BT informing customers that the use and making of disposable email address was going to be stopped and you should start to migrate away from any disposable email addresses that you use.

This recent email would appear to be the final part of the process now informing you that the disposable email addresses that you have are going to be delete.

I have not retained the emails informing me of this process so I can not quote the content exactly but I am sure that BT contacted its customers who used disposable email addresses at every stage of this process, which has been ongoing for well over a year which in my opinion would have given people who used disposable email addresses plenty of time to migrate away from the email address.

With regards how you used the disposable email addresses which obviously worked well for you it may be that you can still do a similar thing if you set up a Yahoo email account which allows up to 500 disposable email addresses.

It will be a pain having to change them but it will at least allow you to delete any accounts that you no longer use and hopefully will only need to be done once, assuming that Yahoo don't stop the service.

See link 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN16026.html

0 Ratings
lostinespace
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

The reason why I said BT were doing this again was because before they came up with mybtinternet disposable addresses they had a deal of some kind with Yahoo which ended in 2014. It was even more badly handled back then because they did not give a specific date for "migration" to take place. Even worse, when a company tried to contact you using your Yahoo disposable address it did not get bounced so the company would assume you had got the email you sent. There was no migration facility to allow you to move your Yahoo address to BT, you were just told to set up new ones. Another problem was that once they had "migrated" you without any notice, there was no way of getting a list of disposable addresses to change. If you did know them you sometimes found that part of the process of changing email addresses for some companies involved them sending and email to your old address with a link to let you change your address. Obviously you could not get that email. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Well at least you were told this time and what the disposable email addresses are that you need to change.

Out of interest, when using them in the way that you were , how many did you actually have to stop using because you were getting spam directed to the disposable addresses?

0 Ratings
lostinespace
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
Three but one would have justified the effort in setting them up.