Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Complain to Ofcom

The BT charge of £7.50 per month for customers ending their broadband but wishing to retain their email address is clearly anti-competitive. 

Ofcom say "Ofcom wants all consumers to be confident that they can switch their broadband provider with the minimum of fuss."

So, tell them about the excessive BT charges. If enough people complain, they will launch an investigation. Remember that, even if you are happy with BT at the moment, sooner or later you are likely to move. 

They emailed me: 

• BT Mail - you won't be able to use your free BT email address. If you want to keep it, let us know by calling 0800 028 3098 and we can start billing you for it. It's £5 a month (changing to £7.50 from 22 August 2018) by Direct Debit.
That is a bare faced lie. The team on that number do not deal with Premium Mail. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Complain to Ofcom

@GDB2222 wrote:

The BT charge of £7.50 per month for customers ending their broadband but wishing to retain their email address is clearly anti-competitive. 

Really, how do you figure that?  I fail to see how an ISP email address can be transferred from one provider to another.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

See https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_Mail_13_Jan_17.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

As BT email comes as part of your broadband package, which you pay for, why would you expect to keep the email address for free when you leave BT?

If you were to lease a vehicle from a company and at then decide to leave at the end of the contract do you think the lease company would let you keep the steering wheel or some other part of the vehicle for free!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

It’s not just BT at it, I went to Sainsbury’s today to pick up something for lunch.

After picking out some fruit and a chicken wrap I went to walk out of the shop with it and I was stopped by a Security Guard who said I either have to put the items back and leave or pay for them.

I was absolutely disgusted, how dare they expect me to have to pay for the goods and services they have. I’ll certainly never go in there again!
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

If you were charged £7.50 per month to keep your mobile phone number when you moved providers, you'd be upset. Indeed, people were upset, and Ofcom eventually made sure numbers could be ported.  This is the same. It would be easy to forward emails.

I have no objection, actually, to making a modest payment. Indeed, I paid £1.60 a month for years after I last left BT. Putting it up to £7.50 is clearly unfair, though.

As I said, complain now to Ofcom, so they do something about it before you leave.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@GDB2222 wrote:

If you were charged £7.50 per month to keep your mobile phone number when you moved providers, you'd be upset. Indeed, people were upset, and Ofcom eventually made sure numbers could be ported.  This is the same. It would be easy to forward emails.

If I was to change mobile providers and could not port my number without a charge I would just let my contacts know what my new number was. I might even do it by email.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@GDB2222 wrote:

I have no objection, actually, to making a modest payment. Indeed, I paid £1.60 a month for years after I last left BT. Putting it up to £7.50 is clearly unfair, though.

As I said, complain now to Ofcom, so they do something about it before you leave.

You are comparing apples with oranges, it is impossible to port an ISP email address. BT would still have to provide a mailbox on their server at cost to them.

0 Ratings
GDB2222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

@gg30340wrote:

@GDB2222wrote:

If I was to change mobile providers and could not port my number without a charge I would just let my contacts know what my new number was. I might even do it by email.

Any two factor authentification would fall down. Quite a few web services use a mobile phone as a fallback in case of password resets. Banks send notification of possible fraud to your mobile phone. You would have to change all that, too. So, for most people, it would be far more complicated than messaging all their contacts with a new number (and many of them failing to update in any case). 

Anyway, you don't have to worry about any of that, because Ofcom have sorted it out for you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Two factor authentication would not fail because I would change it. I don't use my mobile phone as the fall back in case of password resets. My bank does not have my mobile number. So it is no more complicated than if I changed my email address.

I fail to see how Ofcom will be able to do anything or even be interested in your complaint because as has been pointed out an email addresses can not be ported like a phone number so how can the ISP be "ordered" to maintain the email address of someone who is not their customer. 

In any event, the solution to your problem is in your own hands. Instead of paying BT for an email address you would have been better to migrate your email away from any ISP by either paying for your own domain and email, which is probably cheaper than BT or use a free email service such as gmail.

0 Ratings