cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Confused? I am!

Around this time last year I got a puzzling e-mail from BT inviting me to upgrade my broadband package.  It was a puzzle because I already had the service I was being offered and the renewal date was wrong, then I noticed the account details on the body of the e-mail were wrong, the last 4 digits of the account number were not mine. 

Queried this with BT and after being given a totally incorrect reply about caller display discounts, got fobbed off with the 'system glitch' excuse and lots of assurances that my e-mail account was not compromised and the glitch was solved. 

However I started to get mail clearly intended for someone else and it appears that another BT customer uses the same mail prefix as me, but with a btconnect  address.  i.e. my mail address is xxxx@btinternet.com, hers is xxxx@btconnect.com. 

Reported this to BT and they say the other customer must be giving out my address 'in error'. 

Go forward to Oct this year and guess what, I get another invitation to 'upgrade my broadband' to a service I already have, and with the wrong account number on it.  A few days later I get another upgrade offer to a service I don't yet have, with the right account number on it.

So BT seem to have my e-mail address registered to 2 different BT Residential accounts.

Reported to BT 2 weeks ago and no reply. 

Anyone else had any similar experience and did it get solved? 

I have no idea whether the other person is getting mail from BT or anyone else intended for me, and that's more than a bit worrying!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Confused? I am!

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

This is a data protection issue.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Hi @mm2 sorry that you are still receiving emails that are not for your account.

It does look like as though an incorrect contact email address is stored for another customer. Drop us over your details and we will investigate and get this corrected for you. Please click on my profile and select the contact the mods option.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

many thanks JohnC, sorry I can't see the contact link on your profile??
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Hi @mm2 sorry my mistake. Please check now and it will be there for you.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

thanks again, done!
0 Ratings
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Solution??? what solution???  after a phone call from one of the moderators, I think he said 'NeilO', I was told that BT had indeed stored my e-mail address against a different account, that they knew about it last year when I made the original enquiry, nothing had been done about it at that time but from now on, my e-mail address had been removed from the other account and that I would absolutely, definitely, certainly never get another e-mail from BT intended for another account holder. 

Guess what?  e-mail today offering me a 'free fibre upgrade', and with the wrong account number on it, the same wrong account number that I got BT messages from since June last year

And I already have fibre broadband ....

What the *** is going on at BT?   if I could attach files here, I'd post it for everyone to see!!!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

@mm2 I'm so sorry that you're still getting emails intended for another customer. I can assure you I did delete your email from their account to stop this from happening, I will need to get this looked into further by our marketing team as they may not have updated their info after I made this change. I'll be in touch tomorrow with an update.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

seems I can insert a screengrab of the mail BT sent me today, so here it is, my BT account ends in 4858, not 5498 as in the e-mails BT have been sending me for more than a year now.  if they are sending me all these messages meant for another account holder, what are they sending her that is meant for me?  and because I still get third-party mail meant for her, is she getting other mail meant for me?  there's some very personal family stuff going through my mail at present and I'm worried who is seeing it!

bt e-mail 20.11.18.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

@mm2 I can assure you they are not getting your emails, that's marketing mailer so I've contacted the marketing team about this.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings