Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aliyajade
Beginner
Message 1 of 37

Connecting email account with a non-BT email

Hi all,

please help.

I am trying to set up my email on my desktop-I have had the same email for 10 years and have been with EE for the past few years with no problem. i switched to BT inifinity yesterday and can still receive all my emails, but cannot send any.

I spoke to the help desk who basically said they could not give me the correct setting for the outgoing server.

i have registered for a BT Email but this has not helped when i put it in the server information section.

i am using Outlook for Mac 2011. i attach a screengrab of my settings box and error messages.

If anyone can help, i would be so grateful.Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 17.49.54 (2) copy.jpg

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: Connecting email account with a non-BT email

If you still have an email account with EE, there was no need to change anything. If you haven't still got an account (which I suspect is the case) then you will need to send using the BT SMTP server mail.btinternet.com, port 465, SSL ticked and authenticate with your xxxx@btinternet.com email address and password.

Edit: please hide your email address in the screenshot, this is a public forum and can be seen worldwide.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
aliyajade
Beginner
Message 3 of 37

Hi there,

no my email account was not with EE-EE was just my broadband provider-my email is from freeparking, as it is a business email 

I have my outgoing server as 

mail.btinternet.com

port 465

SSl is ticked

on my more options page I have Authentification as 

User Name and Password

user name-my BT email

password-the password

still no joy.

Any other suggestions-no one at BT will help at all

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 37

Settings are correct. Couple of things, ensure 'require secure password authentication' isn't ticked and try just using the part before @btinternet.com as the user name rather than the whole address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 37

Are you able to login to webmail here To ensure your xx@btinternet.com email address is working correctly?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 37

@aliyajade wrote:

Hi there,

no my email account was not with EE-EE was just my broadband provider-my email is from freeparking, as it is a business email 

Do you not have an SMTP server associated with your domain, you appear to have an IMAP server?

0 Ratings
aliyajade
Beginner
Message 7 of 37

Hi there,

have done that-tested email-that is fine.

The settings I used before we specific to EE for the outgoing server-it is an IMAP account so the incoming server is the one associated with my email

imap.liquify.co.uk

the outgoing server needs to be BT?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

I was just suprised that you had an account with an IMAP server but not an SMTP server. It would save all this faffing about every time you change ISP if it had.

0 Ratings
aliyajade
Beginner
Message 9 of 37

I actually tried the freeparking setting s too-no joy.

is there a better way of setting my email up then?

Sorry am not very technical!

Thanks so much

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

Sorry for the late reply, been out. Yes, if your mail host has an SMTP server, it is much better to use that. Did you check if your BTinternet mail works ok on its own in webmail via the link I posted?

0 Ratings