cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tonynewton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 50

Constant problems accessing BT email via Mac Mail and iPhone devices, common fault

I am the primary account holder of a BTID and personally have no problems accessing email via multiple browsers, my ipad, my iphone and my Mac, using the mail clients.

My wife, however, is constantly unable to access her email, which is one of my secondary email accounts, via her iphone, ipad, or her own mac, other than via Safari in the web browser (the interface for which is truly awful) and it seems this is in common with hundreds or more other people who are all over this forum and across the internet making the same complaint.

BT has done nothing to help us through this, and just says that if you can access mail via the web browser then it is not a BT Yahoo problem.

This is ridiculous, as i should not be forced by BT incompetence to not use the devices and access metoh I choose, and even more so because on occasion it does actually work - as it did just now when I reset her password, changed them on all her devices, and for about 2 minutes managed to get into her mail. Enough time to download all outstanding emails, send some in the outbox, then stop working again.

The erro message she gets is as follows: the mail server ""mail.btinternet.com" is not responding" then suggests the usual helpful advice to change password.

Nothing works, password resets just seem to kick the whole thing into worling for five minutes but then the problem recurs.

I have checked and rechecked the incoming and outgoing ports (which were set up by the BT mail server in the first place, so should work) and they are correct (993 and 465, if you are interested).

It is simply not good enough that this fault has been ongoing for years now, according to references all over the internet, but BT and Yahoo have not managed to solve it, or give advice on how to get around it.

It seems to me there is some sort of conflict going on when the apps and clients try to log on to the yahoo severs. Signing in to the web interface sometimes solves the problem, and the clients can access mail for a while, but it soon, sometimes very soon, goes wrong again.

I will be making this diatribe into a formal complaint to the Chairman of BT and to Offcom, but in the meantime, has anybody got any idea how to fix this?

0 Ratings
49 REPLIES 49
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 50

Re: Constant problems accessing BT email via Mac Mail and iPhone devices, common fault

You are correct in saying there are many references to problems going back some time with Yahoo/BT mail. The problem does not seem to apply to those of us who have never had the Yahoo ingredient. I, for example, have numerous BT only email addresses plus others from gmail etc that have not had these issues. So in answer to your question on how to fix it, get rid of the Yahoo email addresses and switch to another provider.
0 Ratings
tonynewton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 50

Re: Constant problems accessing BT email via Mac Mail and iPhone devices, common fault

If only it was that easy. 20 years of having the same email address makes it hard to give it up, and even worse for my wife who has hundreds of business clients who use it regularly. It is a factor in why BT does not bother to fix the problem, I suspect !
0 Ratings
Soloman
Message 4 of 50

I have similar problem since changing my BT ID password and thus primary email password. I can access email via web ok using new password but clients such as IOS, Outlook and MS Mail seem to be stuck with the previous password, still getting mail so no incompatibility problem. Very confusing. I am not an clearly not an expert but the password changes do not appear to reaching the mail BT mail servers correctly, if at all.

Awaiting call from technical people this morning. If no joy a letter of complaint will be sent to a higher authority.

Have you made any progress?

0 Ratings
Carp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 50

I too am having this problem.  According to BT if you can google your account its not their problem.  However I have spent 4 hours today on the phone with Apple and we have gone through everything and still I cannot get mail to take my Yahoo account.  I have it on my phone fine.  Does anyone know what can be done?  All are saying its a BT problem.  I rang BT and they say its not and yet on these forums everyone has the same problem.  Any ideas?  Tried to stop the 2x verification but you can't do that anymore.

0 Ratings
Carp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 50

have you got anywhere with this?
0 Ratings
IanSmith
Beginner
Message 7 of 50

My BT email was down for a few days - same thing BT "if you can get on to webmail then it is fine" which is complete pants.

Eventually send came back a few days later, then finally another couple of days later I got receive.

I am moving everything off BT and taking the 3 BT bills I pay elsewhere but it takes time to sort out all the logins you have. If you forget a password and need a reset then you are stuffed if it is pointing to a BTinternet.com email address you don't have any more.

So I would suggest you use webmail and wait it seems to come back. DON'T cahnage any config though.

0 Ratings
Carp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 50

Great. Kind of agree. Thanks so much. Appreciate your comments. Thank you
0 Ratings
Carp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 50

I’m thinking the same. It’s a pain but I’ll just forget the yahoo by account.
0 Ratings
IanSmith
Beginner
Message 10 of 50

Its worse for me as a long time ago I signed up to Premium Mail (20yrs ago??) so that we could have more than one email address at a huge cost of £0.50/mth. They have just put it up to £7.50 PER MONTH. Which is rediculous when email is free everywhere else and a huge pain to move.

Oh look the BT internet mail needs password verified again. So that is me off for a few days.

Yesterday I was at work and sent an email home just to have that bounce back as BT was too busy to handle it.

Bye Bye BT

0 Ratings