cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonynewton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 50

Re: Constant problems accessing BT email via Mac Mail and iPhone devices, common fault

I don't know if this will help, or even if it is the right solution, but the last time I had this problem (leaving aside the last couple of days when the whole thing seemed to be down) I found that changing the SSL setting in Settings on my iPhone solved the problem.

I went to Settings, Passwords and Accounts, BTInternet (or whatever your mail account is called), then Account, then Outgoing Mail Server (clicking on the SMTP link to mail.btinternet.com), then Primary Mail Server.

When there I noticed the Use SSL switch was not green, so I clicked it and it went green.

I then clicked done, and backed out from there. 

And mail has worked ever since.

All the above sounds more complicated than it is in practice. May be worth a go.

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 50

Re: Constant problems accessing BT email via Mac Mail and iPhone devices, common fault

@retrieve wrote:
Hello John,
I cannot find your latest message in my Private messazges - Ihink it may have gone to @markw2 instead?

retrieve
(Diana)

Hi @retrieve

Don't worry, there is no need for you to send your details again.  @JohnC2 is already managing your case and will get back in touch with you.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
retrieve
Contributor
Message 43 of 50

Hi, thanks for that suggestion.  My problem is that Mail works fine on my i-phone, but not on my Macbook - I'll have a look at the Macbook settings to see if I need to do your process on the Macbook.  Trouble is, it works sometimes and then drops out for a day or two - e.g. - right now!!

0 Ratings
retrieve
Contributor
Message 44 of 50

Many thanks, I find the Forum process rather confusing at times!

0 Ratings
ronl95
Beginner
Message 45 of 50

I notice that this string has been ongoing for 12 months and still appears unresolved. I purchased my first Mac 10 years ago and from day 1 have experienced  'unable to connect to server' messages when trying to access my emails from the Mac client but always webmail connects fine. I've recently purchased a new Mac and once again the problem persists, I've spent many hours deleting and re-opening accounts, changing settings here there and everywhere, I've also spent many hours on the phone to BT & on web chats about the issue, I've sat and watched while BT take control of my computer and they themselves go through all the same processes of resetting, deleting and reinstalling. The only thing I've learnt from this is that now when my email fails I go straight to webmail in the knowledge that my Mac mail will after a day or two or  three or a week will suddenly burst back into life of it's on accord and I wait while my Mac mail catches up on the last couple of days of missed emails. For BT to say, if webmail works then it is not their problem just indicates just how little they value our custom. Like others on this forum I have various reasons why I am loathe to give up an email address I have had since day 1 and move to another supplier who may show me some sign of concern. The fact is if Mac users have been suffering this problem for years BT owe them the curtesy of looking a little beyond the 'it's leaving me OK mate' stance and work with the Mac community and even Apple themselves to solve a problem that must be affecting a large proportion of their customers. BT have never prentended to be the cheapest but years ago at least to be able to say but 'we do provide superior service'. So lets have one more go at this -

Can someone in BT please investigate why it randomly blocks my Mac mail client from it's servers and then just as randomly gives full access a few days later without me changing my password or any other mail settings ? Thanks 

0 Ratings
retrieve
Contributor
Message 46 of 50

Hello ron195,

Like you, I am loathe to change my BT email address which is the one we always use, and have done so, for a considerable time.

I do not find the on-line version nearly as user friendly as MacMail

Up until the last month or so I could live with it not working for a while once every 6 weeks or so.  Now it is hardly ever working on my Macbook Apple Mail, or Outlook Express on my Imac. 

I am not technical at all, but feel it seems more like a BT error, as it works fine on my I phone, and I also have a Google mail account  (seldom used), but that is never a problem.

As you put it  so well. "Can someone in BT please investigate why it randomly blocks my Mac mail client from it's servers and then just as randomly gives full access a few days later without me changing my password or any other mail settings ? Thanks "

Diana

0 Ratings
ronl95
Beginner
Message 47 of 50

Diana,  Yes I have noticed that it has become more frequent even since my last post (assumed it was revenge from BT) and still no comment from BT !

0 Ratings
retrieve
Contributor
Message 48 of 50

Today I have just discovered why bt Mail has not worked on my Macbook for several days.

I checked the setting under Mail/Accounts and saw that the BT Mail settings were not showing a Password.  As soon as I filled this in, the Mail started working!

I have certainly not altered any settings so have no idea how the password was removed, but maybe this is what has been happening.  I will check this right away if the Mail gives up the ghost again!  I wonder if anyone else has come across the same problem?

Diana

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 50

Thanks for popping back with the information for your issue.

Some clients/apps do need to have the password set in more than one place, commonly for both sending and receiving mail separately. Hence all settings need to be checked for the client/app accounts on all devices.

Deleting/re-adding clients/apps or accounts may have a bearing ...

0 Ratings
retrieve
Contributor
Message 50 of 50

Back to normal with no BT Mail working on my Macbook.  Have checked under my BT Account settings and the password is still there, so I am at a complete loss to know what to do - probably get a new e-mail account will be the final answer.

0 Ratings