cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

Contacts disappeared

Haven't changed anything on my BT mail account but my contacts list is now empty !! 

I use my desktop for composing and sending email. I can read them on my Andriod phone and tablet but have never worked out how to reply or send emails.

If I can't restore the list a good alternative would be to copy all the email addresses I have in a received email into my contacts but I can only seem to do this one at  time - could take a while.

Any help most welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Contacts disappeared

Try clearing your browser's history and cookies. 

If that doesn't work try another browser.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 33

If you have to re-create your contacts list from an email, you can try this

Copy & paste each persons name and email address into a text document (using notepad) one entry per line and separate each field using commas, save the file as a text document, then change the filename extension from .txt to .csv then follow these instructions

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/import-contacts-to-mail-...

For example:

Fred,,,,fred@btinternet.com.

Joe,,,,joe@btinternet.com

The first word is a label, in this case the contacts first name, each comma after the first one represents a skipped field (such as surname etc), to include one of the skipped fields simply replace one of the commas with the information to be included

For example: Fred,Smith,,,fred@btinternet.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 33

Re: Email Contacts disappeared

Same here. been changed to new email layout some of my contacts have disappeared others have been corrupted.

Why did they change the layout its worse than the old layout.

Tried to contact BT but was on hold for 2 hours so gave up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 33

Re: Email Contacts disappeared

Your best bet is to use Gmail. It's secure, free, your contacts are backed up and, if you set it up to do so, it can poll your BT email inbox and access the BT servers to make it look like you're sending from a BT e-mail address. All the while only you and whoever you choose to share it with know your gmail address

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 33

Thanks for the suggestion but already tried a different browser.

Surely BT Mail must have a tool for restoring contacts but I cannot find anything.

Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 33

Finally got through to BT this morning. Seems like there is little they can do. At first  she suggested I manually re-entered the email I was missing into my contacts. When I pointed out that I did not store this info anywhere so that was not an options and the email address was the only way I had of contacting a couple of friends in Australia her next suggestion was that BT were aware of the problem and mine was not the only case and if I left it a few days it might get fixed. 

Think I'm buggered

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

There have been a few reports of contacts going missing. I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help.They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 33

Hi @Mike_P1 and @rjdrjd53 sorry that you have either lost your contacts or had them corrupted. I've sent you both a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you with this.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 33

Please can you send this to me too.

The same has happened to me.... I have some contacts now, but they seem to be from a back up about 4 years ago.

Please help!

0 Ratings