Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reddo
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Contacts receiving my emails but me not receiving theirs

Hello,

I had some friends report spam from my emails a few months back but OK now. However, on two of them they are still receiving my mails but I am not receiving their replies. They are receiving into their Inbox

Any ideas what could be causing it?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Contacts receiving my emails but me not receiving theirs

If your friends have been receiving spam purportedly from your email address, it won't actually have come from your address, it would have spoofed, therefore any replies they sent would go back to the spammer and not to you.

The spammers would have stolen your address and contact list and used it to send mails pretending to come from you in order to make them appear legitimate to the recipient.

0 Ratings
reddo
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks - good point. So how to work around it - can they delete me from their contact list or I have to create a new address 😞
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Are you saying that they can't reply to genuine mails from you? Are you receiving mails from anyone?

0 Ratings
reddo
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

They can send them to me but I never receive them

I am receiving emails from other sources and people but not 2 contacts (friends) in particular

Maybe I should test with a third friend and see if they have been sending also

0 Ratings
reddo
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I have now asked two friends to send me emails from new addresses (theirs) but still not receiving ie disappearing into the ether. I am receiving emails from commercial and retail bodies etc How can I resolve this as it is now becoming frustrating. Thanks
0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 7 of 7

@reddowrote:
I have now asked two friends to send me emails from new addresses (theirs) but still not receiving ie disappearing into the ether. I am receiving emails from commercial and retail bodies etc How can I resolve this as it is now becoming frustrating. Thanks

I suggest you ask your friends to look very closely at the actual address which is associated with your name in their contact lists. It may, during the spoofing, have been changed for them so that when they send something to 'you' - i.e. your name comes up on their contact list, the actual address may not be yours.

Also you may not have been the one who was hacked - some programmes will steal contact details in a victims contact list and then mail out to everyone on that list - of course some will be known to each other, and some not.

To reiterate, If you are still in control of your email address, as you appear to be, then that hasn't been stolen. So it may be that your friends are sending now to an address which isn't yours, but which is associated with your name in their contacts.

0 Ratings