cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Corruption of email Subject line by BT's SMTP servers

Many organisations and message boards (like this one) use the Subject Line in reply emails to identify the sender and route the reply to the right place.  Some organisations warn their customers that they must leave the Subject Line unchanged when replying.  I have recently seen that messages sent from btinternet.com addresses have suffered corrupted Subject Lines, specifically that "[SUSPECT]" is prefixed to the Subject Line.  If the original Subject Line was important to the recipient, the message is likely to be misrouted or even lost.

I believe that the [SUSPECT] tag is added at the btinternet.com SMTP server, but the messages which have been corrupted in this way are clearly not SPAM.   Has anyone else seen this?  I think BT should be made aware that changing the Subject Line of a message in this way is going to cause trouble for many users.

Peter M

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Corruption of email Subject line by BT's SMTP servers

Sounds like an addition to the old [Bulk] added to expected spam.

A lot of  companies typically use a token in the subject line (those using it for a reference like holiday, fault etc), so a prefix probably wouldn't cause an issue, even though Re: is added - though easy to deal with.

However, for those you mention it could indeed cause an issue. I've not seen this one myself as yet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I also have just come across this issue and raised a separate message. It was OK in January but not now. The help desk say everything is ok at their end.

Can the mods through any light on this? Is it a new lower limit on the number of contacts you can send 1 email to?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Eccles32:

Thanks for your input.  The examples I have seen of this prefix [SUSPECT] were not of a btinternet.com user sending to a large number of recipients, but just sending a single reply to a groups.io forum.  So there may well be more than one reason why this happens.

I think there may be another clue, in the name "Razorgate", which is a SPAM filter package marketted by a company called Mirapoint.  I emailed them to discover if Razorgate is the originator of the [SUSPECT] tag, but (no surprise) I received no response.   Some more Googling might reveal useful insight.

Peter M

0 Ratings