cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Delete email address

Go to solution

Hello,

does this seem correct? I opted to delete immediately an email address I haven’t used for a long time and I see this when I look at the options. It seems excessive to hold the email address for re use for another three years. 

thanks

Ade

1DF16D87-F1EE-4FBA-9B44-C2FFC0D1C91C.jpeg

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Delete email address

Go to solution

Seems logical to me. I believe the idea is to avoid someone else using the email address and receiving your emails from senders you have not yet advised! After the 3 years are up, that particular address becomes available once again to any user (new or existing).

Message 3 of 3

Re: Delete email address

Go to solution

Up until a couple of years ago a deleted email account was permanently deleted and could never be reused.

It was decided that BT customers wanting to reuse their "old" email address for what ever reason could if they wanted so what now happens is that the email address, not the account, is held in limbo for three years after which time it will be permanently deleted and can not be reused.

When an email address is reused within the three year period it is only the original owner of the email address that can re-use it. They do not get the contents of the email account back because the contents are irretrievably deleted after 60 days from when the account holder had marked it to be deleted.

See link

How do I close or delete an email account? | BT Help