cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jabes
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Deleting email accounts after 150 days

Hi. I have just received an email from BT on their change in service and the fact that they will delete email accounts that have been unused for 150 days. I just want to know if this is legal? If it is will there be a way of informing the account holder BEFORE the email account is deleted? So any important can be saved on there. Maybe I'm being touchy I just think the wrong emails could be deleted by mistake.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Deleting email accounts after 150 days

Just make sure you log into the account every 100 days.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Welcome to the forum. Yes, it is legal. No, BT do not apparently intend to give warning, probably because if an account is not used the message wouldn't get read anyway. There's more info here.

If you really do need to retain an unused account, you can keep it alive automatically by adding it to an email client set to check for messages on launch. On the whole, it's probably better not to rely on a third party to look after important stuff, and I would routinely download precious emails to my computer irrespective of BT's new rules.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
mikef
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Does viewing your email on a tablet device count as 'logging in', or do you have to open a browser and actually log in?

cheers
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Yes it counts.if you read the other posts I linked to previously this explains what counts and what you can do!

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@gg30340 wrote:

Yes it counts.if you read the other posts I linked to previously this explains what counts and what you can do!

Hi.

Actually, as yet it's not sure if it does count. K9 on android for example is like mailwasher, it's just a simple interface to email. It doesn't specifically login - but it would seem like it should count Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Andy_N.

Is it not the case that if you have IMAP set up on your tablet or phone then that would count as that is going into your email account?

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

@Andy_N

How do you think K9, or Mailwasher, do what they do, if they don't login to the account?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

@IanC wrote:
@Andy_N

How do you think K9, or Mailwasher, do what they do, if they don't login to the account?

I think I was being a little dumb Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings