cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Deleting emails in Bulk

Go to solution

Can anyone suggest a way to delete emails in bulk, I literally have 1000s of them.

Thank you

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Deleting emails in Bulk

Go to solution

There is no "Delete All" option with BTMail webmail.

You can try the following:-

Click on the box to the left of the first email you want to delete and assuming you want to delete all the emails that are below that you can either press on your keyboard  "shift" key and "PgDn" key repeatedly and it will mark all the other emails with a tick or use the "shift" key and the down arrow. This will also mark all the boxes with a tick or tick the first box you want to delete and holding the shift key move to the last email you want to delete and tick its box and release the shift key. All the emails in between should now be ticked.

If you don't all the emails that have been marked with a tick deleted you need to go down the list and untick the ones you want to keep.

Once you have done that you then click on the "Delete" button in the menu bar which should delete them on mass however if it does not work, once they have all been ticked, you should try to drag and drop them into the trash folder.

The same applies if you want to move emails to another folder, use drag and drop.

The best option is not to use your Inbox as a storage folder. Sort them as you go along and place them into folders. If you then later want to delete them all you can then delete the entire folder in one go.

Another option is to use an email client/app which will usually have the option to "Delete All".

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

i have tried doing this action and it is not working for some strange reason .  HELP

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

The thread you have posted on was in relation to the "old" BTMail interface not the "new" BTMail interface.

If you want to delete multiple emails try the following.

If you hold down the shift key then tick the box to the left of the first email you want to delete in the list of emails then scroll down using the scroll bar on the right hand side while still holding down the shift key and tick the last email you want to delete then release the shift key. It will select all the emails in between.

If there are emails in between the first and last that you do not want to delete just untick those emails.

You can then click delete or drag and drop them into the Trash folder. 

If it is not working try decreasing the number of emails that you have selected.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I think I have just been moved to the new interface and the method given above doesn't work for emails received before the start of this year. Is there anyway of doing them in bulk? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

The date mails were received is irrelevant, the method is dependent on which version of webmail you are using. However, the best option is the final paragraph of message 2 in the thread, use a mail client, if only temporarily, to delete them.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@Nextsteps wrote:

I think I have just been moved to the new interface and the method given above doesn't work for emails received before the start of this year. Is there anyway of doing them in bulk? 

If you are trying to delete a large number of emails try deleting in batches of a couple of hundred or less instead of all of them at the one time.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
I agree with the above - I tried to clear out a large back-log of old emails - the new system wont let you Delete more than a few hundred at a time. However ... I discovered that if I moved them into a Folder my highlighting them I could delete the entire folder. However, you will still be limited to how many emails you can highlight and move (I have no idea how many but it looks to be more than if you just try and highlight them individually and delete them in bulk). Lord knows why the designers thought it was a good idea to place such a limit - it's not as if (even if you did Delete them all by accident) they wont go into you Delete folder in case you need to reclaim them. Muppetsville!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Do BT make deleting emails in bulk as difficult as possible. I used to click on the first email I wanted to delete  - hold down the shift key scroll down all the emails I wanted to delete and press the delete button - done easy. But BT in their wisdom have stopped you doing that you have to delete each email separately. As I have hundreds of emails to delete I do not have a few months to do this.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

You can still do that if you were to use a mail client such as Thunderbird or EmClient rather than the awful webmail interface.

0 Ratings