Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Difficulty adding email account on new mobile phone

Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to set up an e-mail account on my new Samsung Galaxy A8 mobile. My old phone number was ported across and activated today on the new phone.

I have gone through the process, having noted the answers given to previous enquirer's with a similar issue but so far, but each time the answer I get is that "The server is not responding".

My old phone was set up according to the imap protocol and everything seemed to work.

I am still on BT/Yahool mail. The server settings on the old phone were pointed at mail.btinternet.com .

I am choosing the 993 / 465 ports as before, with the SSL security type.

There is a 'switch' on the new settings which invites me to "Verify before sending emails" which is set to on. Is that correct?

Is anyone able to tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Regards,

Alan

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Difficulty adding email account on new mobile phone

Go to solution

Just a brief update....still getting the "server not responding" message when trying to set up BT/Yahoo mail on the new phone. However, mail is still being received ok on the old phone (with same settings). Why is it working on one and not the other?

Regards,

AlanF

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@AlanFwrote:

Just a brief update....still getting the "server not responding" message when trying to set up BT/Yahoo mail on the new phone. However, mail is still being received ok on the old phone (with same settings). Why is it working on one and not the other?

Regards,

AlanF

Hi.

As a matter of interest, have you stopped the old phone from auto-checking for emails - even turn the old phone off altogether?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

No, I hadn't thought of disabling the auto-check of emails on the old phone. However, I have switched it off on several occasions, in fact, it's switched off now but I am still getting the "server not responding message".

Alan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I have tried that many things today, without success. I have even downloaded different Android apps (as suggested by one BT advisor). That didn't work either, I'm still getting the 'server not responding' message.

As a last throw so-to-speak, albeit reluctantly, I thought I would change the password to see if that allowed me to create an e-mail account on the new phone. When I tried to do this on the BT site, that too became a problem as well. I put in the password which I know very well. The response was:

"Sorry, the current password you've entered doesn't match our systems."

Now that is odd because as it is not a straightforward password I haven't changed it for a while, and as I said before it  works on the old phone. So, might it be a peculiar server issue after all? Especially as I can't even change the password at the moment it would appear!

Apart from waiting till tomorrow to see if it miraculously clears I don't know what else to do - unless someone has any other ideas......

Regards,

AlanF

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
At last I was able to change the password today and thankfully when I tried to set an account up again .... it worked!! So I am back up and running so-to-speak.
Regards,
AlanF
0 Ratings