cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JulieT21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: E-mails - Sent items disappeared

When I’m able to get onto the family PC ,  I have saved my emails , especially when they had attachments , into directories on the hard drive . However since the lockdowns, my husband now works permanently from home and therefore I’m rarely able to access it , so unfortunately backing up  hasn’t always been done recently. 

0 Ratings
JulieT21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 19

This is true , I know how to back up my account on my home PC,  and have had some success saving some attachments from my IPad,  into Google Drive ( I think) but have no idea how to do it on my phone . As for whether my account is POP or IMAP , I can’t find where to find this information l and how relevant it is to the problem . 

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 19

On an IMAP account, emails on your iPad/iPhone are also on the server of whatever your email provider is. Thus, if sent mails have disappeared from the “sent” folder of your iPad/iPhone, there is a chance that they will still be on the server of your email provider.

If it is a POP account and emails have disappeared from your “sent” folder, then they have probably been lost forever but check that they haven’t somehow been moved to another folder.

Settings>Mail>Accounts  and then click on the email account will show if it is POP. If it doesn’t show as POP, then it will be IMAP. 

This is generalising a little because different email providers (Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, BTinternet etc) are not always consistent

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

@JulieT21have you contacted the mods as offered by @@NeilO 

IMAP and POP3 are defined standards of email operation. With IMAP, the mail is held on the server with a copy held locally on any devices configured as IMAP.. Thus all devices are in sync and any action taken on any device or webmail is replicated across all devices.

With POP3 the mail is held on the device accessing the server and is not replicated on all devices. Once downloaded to a device it is deleted from the server. However, most mail providers implement the optional facility to leave a copy of the message on the server if required thus allowing multiple devices to access it if they are so configured.

However, this only applies to the Inbox, any folders created or sent mail is not replicated and is only available to the individual device.

Hope that all makes sense.

0 Ratings
JulieT21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Thank you for explaining the differences between IMAP and POP.  

So I checked the settings on my phone and I see that the BTinternet  email account is described as IMAP , so hopefully  the missing sent emails can be retrieved. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
JulieT21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

@licquorice , yes I have contacted @NeilO and given him all the account information . 

So I checked the settings on my phone and I see that the BTinternet  email account is described as IMAP , so hopefully  the missing sent emails can be retrieved. 

Sorry if it looks like I’m repeating myself but Ive only just found out how to direct a comment to a particular person using the @ sign . I assume it happened when I wrote in a reply box , but then when I see the resulting posts they all come up as a list and the reply’s don’t seem to correlate with particular people . 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

@JulieT21 wrote:

@licquorice , yes I have contacted @NeilO and given him all the account information . 

Sorry if it looks like I’m repeating myself but Ive only just found out how to direct a comment to a particular person using the @ sign . I assume it happened when I wrote in a reply box , but then when I see the resulting posts they all come up as a list and the reply’s don’t seem to correlate with particular people . 

Posts just appear in chronological order. If you wish to reply to a particular post, you can either use the @ symbol to direct the comment or if you click Reply in the post you wish to reply to and then click on the quote marks in the toolbar, it will quote the text of the post you are replying to as you can see above.

Did you contact the mods?

0 Ratings
JulieT21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Yes I contacted NeiLO , so will wait and see what happens .
malcmac
Beginner
Message 19 of 19

HI 

Did this ever get resolved as I and a number of others have the same problem?

0 Ratings