Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Disappearing emails in new BT Mail app

Go to solution

My wife and I usually read our emails on our desktop PC using Windows Live Mail. (Yes, I know that's not supported now, but it still works and I am reviewing other options!)

We both also have Android phones/tablets and have ben converted to the new BT Mail App. With the previous BT Yahoo App, we could read our emails on the phones and if the computer/WLM was then on, the emails would disappear from the phone's inbox and appear in the phone's Trash box; in other words they were still accessible from our phones. 

With the new BT Mail app once the computer/WLM has been turned on the emails disappear totally from our phones and therefore not viewable.

Our settings in WLM are POP3 and mail.btinternet.com for both incoming and outgoing servers.

I spoke with BT a couple of weeks ago and they suggested uninstalling the app and reinstalling after 48 hours. I did this on one of the phones but there was no difference.

Am I alone with this issue? Are my server settings OK?

We

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Disappearing emails in new BT Mail app

Go to solution

With WLM set to POP3, messages are downloaded to your PC and then deleted from the server. However, BT instead of deleting them immediately send them to Trash first. Your Previous Yahoo app synced the Trash folder with the server Trash folder, however, the new BTMail app doesn't appear to sync the Trash folder.

I strongly suggest you dump the BT Mail app which is dire in many respects and install Blue mail whereupon your Trash mails will appear.

Alternatively, you could configure your account in WLM as IMAP and then all devices will stay in sync and the mails will appear in the phone inbox.

Edit. Have just tried the BT app on my Android and it did appear to sync the Trash folder. Are the missing mails visible in the webmail trash folder?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks, I'll take a look at Blue Mail on one of my mobile devices.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Have now downloaded Blue Email on my phone and the problem still exists, I'm afraid. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Are the mails still in the Trash folder in webmail?

Make sure that in Account settings > Folder management > Folder mapping that Trash folder is mapped to Trash

I have a similar arrangement using POP3 in Outlook 2010 and the mails are in the Trash folder of Blue Mail on my Android phone as expected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. I checked the folder settings in Blue and they are as you suggested they should be.

However, I think I may just have solved it by another method. In my WLM settings I have ticked the box which says "Leave a copy of messages on server....Remove from server after 3days"

My initial test seemed to work i.e. a message i sent to myself remained in the InBox of Blue Mail even when I opened

WLM. Fingers crossed!