cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Disposable emails scheduled to stop April 2020?

Go to solution

I recently got an email from BT saying that after April 2020 I would stop receiving email sent to my disposable email addresses (blahblah-*****@yahoo.co.uk). It isn't a phish, it references www.bt.com/dea-closure

I've been using these 'disposable' addresses for almost 20 years. I have a lot of digital rights & web accounts using these details. I've got about 10 disposables that I've been using consistently across hundreds of sites and services.

I can of course download all my old email, yes it's a pain - but that's not my main problem.

What I am far more worried about is not having any way after April to get delivery of new mail to those addresses - i.e. when I find a website / online service / historic purchase and it says "send password reset link", I'm stuffed.

I managed to get a callback from "the highest level of BT email technical support" (they weren't UK based), and I was told that they "weren't really going to turn off disposable addresses - you can just ignore that warning". Which seemed like a load of rubbish and just a way to get me off the phone.

questions:

1. Am I right? Basically after April if I find anything in the last 20 years I've not changed the email address on, I'm stuffed - no password reset emails!

2. I just cannot understand how the management team in BT didn't negotiate with Yahoo for a mechanism to allow a customer to move disposable address delivery to a true Yahoo account. As part of the migration, BT clearly negotiated with Yahoo to disable creation of new disposable addresses - why didn't they sort out an option to move the accounts? That way BT wouldn't look like muppets while migrating to their own BTMail, Yahoo would get more customers, and the customer wouldn't feel like rage-quitting BT for completely screwing them over! No one I speak to can seem to get this escalated. How do I escalate to anyone in an actual position of responsibility?

Many thanks for your time

Dan

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Disposable emails scheduled to stop April 2020?

Go to solution

@dve wrote:

1. Am I right? Basically after April if I find anything in the last 20 years I've not changed the email address on, I'm stuffed - no password reset emails! 

Yes, the addresses will no longer be accessible after April.

2. I just cannot understand how the management team in BT didn't negotiate with Yahoo for a mechanism to allow a customer to move disposable address delivery to a true Yahoo account. As part of the migration, BT clearly negotiated with Yahoo to disable creation of new disposable addresses - why didn't they sort out an option to move the accounts? That way BT wouldn't look like muppets while migrating to their own BTMail, Yahoo would get more customers, and the customer wouldn't feel like rage-quitting BT for completely screwing them over! No one I speak to can seem to get this escalated. How do I escalate to anyone in an actual position of responsibility?

A commercial decision has been undertaken and won't be changed, you will get the same answer from however high you escalate it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Yes its genuine - I got the same email too but I knew about this before as there was a help article for many years which hinted at this and forum posts over the last 1 year. This was the plan before the last migration to shut it down also (but I wasn't here then...)

Its not great news if you use it diligently and over many years - don't ignore the email and make plans to wean off them. 

You cant escalate this issue if BT are leaving Yahoo as their provider, they cant continue to use the yahoo domains and for Yahoo to create the individual DEA from an alias of an actual account to a true yahoo mailbox would be a time consumingly ridiculous and costly amount of complex engineering.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@dvewrote:

I recently got an email from BT saying that after April 2020 I would stop receiving email sent to my disposable email addresses (blahblah-*****@yahoo.co.uk). It isn't a phish, it references [www.bt.com/dea-closure] link altered as it appear to contain web beacons and is personalised to the recipient

I've been using these 'disposable' addresses for almost 20 years. I have a lot of digital rights & web accounts using these details. I've got about 10 disposables that I've been using consistently across hundreds of sites and services.

I can of course download all my old email, yes it's a pain - but that's not my main problem.

What I am far more worried about is not having any way after April to get delivery of new mail to those addresses - i.e. when I find a website / online service / historic purchase and it says "send password reset link", I'm stuffed.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Your best bet is to set up a variety of gmail addresses, perhaps using a similar format, and start changing all your online web accesses to use the gmail address(s) instead. Clearly it will take time - but as the feature is closing, action is required pretty sharpish

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I don't have a strong need for the multiple email addresses, it just makes searching and categorising a bit easier.

I was just so surprised because a long-term email address has huge power for customer retention: it's your online identity & purchase authentication method. By BT not recognising this in their business strategy, it makes me strongly averse to giving BT this sort of power again. I'll update my paypal, ebay, steam, government, etc etc accounts and just have to accept there will be some accounts that I'll forget about and never be able to access again. At least at the end of it I'll be able to consider other service providers because my email will no longer be tied to my broadband account.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I am now in the same situation. I've used disposable email addresses as a paying customer of BT for over 15 years. These email addresses are linking to hundreds of online accounts (many of them important,) and literally thousands of email contacts.

I have no practical way of trawling through over 15 years of email contacts, in order to prepare for when BT decide to pull the plug on my disposable email addresses.

I now expect much of my email to literally disappear overnight, whenever they finally decide 'pull the plug' on their customers!

0 Ratings