Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PJ666
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Do not under any circumstances change your btinternet email password

This is fine to do if you want to access your emails from a laptop etc via the bt site, but, if you want to be able to access your btinternet emails on a mobile device do not change your password.

I have spent three days trying to get any mobile device (3 iPads, 1 iPhone and a Tesco huddle (just in case it was an issue with ios) to allow me to access my emails after changing my email password. Just to be sure I have also tried to do this using 4 different email clients.

Because I copied an email sent to me by bt support that told me that there servers were fine and that the fault had to lie with all my various mobile devices my post was edited and all emphasis removed.

BT told me today that In reference to our conversation earlier today I can confirm that the bt email server is working without issue as you can successfully login through our website, it would appear the issue is caused by an Email application problem. Their solution was, basically we are ok, your 5 mobile devices, 2 operating systems and 4 email clients are all at fault, or as they put it,
As you can log into webmail without any issues, it looks like the problem is with your email application.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR EMAIL PASSWORD

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Do not under any circumstances change your btinternet email password

This is clearly not the case for everybody,  just because a small minority of customers have difficulties with password changes it doesn't mean that everyone does. I have multiple devices and have changed password successfully as I am sure countless others have done.

As it takes a finite time to change the password on multiple devices, it is best to follow the advice of turning them all off before changing the password and then turning them back on again one at time to change device password to prevent devices attempting to connect to the servers with incorrect passwords and locking out the account.

PJ666
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

I’m glad it worked for you. Check out the other forums and I think you’ll find it’s not a small minority that has this issue. All devices turned off, updates run where needed. Advice taken and acted upon but it doesn’t work.

My advice just means no one else should have the same problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

I have been on these forums a lot longer than you have and am perfectly aware of the problems some people encounter. However, people only post on forums when they have a problem, the hundreds of thousands of customers who don't experience any problem don't post to say so.

Your advice means that customer's who have had their password compromised for whatever reason might now be reluctant to change their password which is essential in the circumstances.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Your advice to "not under any circumstances change your btinternet email password".  Is bad advice. There are many instances when people should change their password and they should not be put off from doing it.

As has been pointed out by liquorice it is not the case that what happened to you happens to everybody.

If your email stops working on an email client for no apparent reason yet it still works via webmail, it is obviously not a password problem and the advice on the forum is not to change your password to resolve the issue, instead you should wait and the problem usually sorts its self out.

If however you do attempt to change your password then the advice is to do as licquorice stated.

If you read through this forum you will see that there are people who did change their password and had a similar  problem to you and after following the above advice they were able to access their email again.

As regards the numbers that this problem affects.

People only go onto forums when they have a problem, they rarely will go onto a forum and say "I changed my password and it worked flawlessly".

Given that BT has over six million customers and even if they only had one email address each, which would be a conservative number, that is a lot of people and the problem does not affect them all, only a small minority. If it did affect them all I'm sure there would be more instances reported on this forum than there is.

PJ666
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

I was getting messages that meant my account could have been compromised, now I can’t get emails on devices that I use every day when out and about.

Yes, I came onto the forum because I have a problem, one which BT seems unable to resolve. As with any advice people take it or they don’t. If my advice offends or upsets you, my apologies.

0 Ratings
PJ666
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

My advice stands, you disagree that is your prerogative.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@PJ666wrote:

I was getting messages that meant my account could have been compromised, now I can’t get emails on devices that I use every day when out and about.

That has nothing to do with passwords, it's the mail server configuration that's at fault. The reason you're getting this is sometimes because the system may have seen spam sent "from" your address as spammers have chosen to spoof your mail address (this can show as a lot of bounce messages), other times are because the system has seen possible multiple access failures - believing that someone is trying to access the account and trying the wrong passwords. BT have got this wrong, and can mean the account is actually locked for non webmail access. The only way around this is moderator intervention. A few have had their accounts fixed this way.

Yes, I came onto the forum because I have a problem, one which BT seems unable to resolve. As with any advice people take it or they don’t. If my advice offends or upsets you, my apologies.

You mention other forums saying not to change the password - what other forums? Only this forum can give the best advice from peer support that have been around a long time.

You may have seen posts saying not to change anything - that is the standard advice when webmail works but app/client access fails, and has been shown time after time to be correct.

What is categorically not correct is the advice you've written in the subject topic as both licquorice and gg30340 have said.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Your advice does not upset or offend me because it is something that I would choose to ignore because it is just categorically wrong and is bad advice.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

aye aye aye - narishkeit - this thread should be deleted as the worst advice is given as a solution to a problem!

BT have 2 providers who do the IMAP/POP auth directly while webmail is authenticated locally at BT first.

There were issues before last year where a password change did not synchronise between BT and the provider but this seems to be fixed now. So setting a new password today via password reset should work on webmail and IMAP/POP.

Remove the account on all your devices first - then set them up one by one with the new password - this should work.

Now, when webmail works and POP/IMAP doesn't work is another issue which happens on Yahoo regularly as the account is blocked for a random period of time (this is likely to due to preventing bad attacks) - the block is lifted without doing anything. This causes great confusion as there is no indication on what'd happened and makes IMAP/POP unusable. I cant find a workaround to this - BT need to finish what they started some time back and move off them!

Lastly - some good advice on passwords:

Choose a strong password with letters and special characters and enough length (internet has tons of resources on how to do this)

Don't use the same password everywhere

Frequency of changing passwords depends on your risk profile on what kind of sites your visit and your general IT awareness e.g. not upgrading your devices regularly,  plugging random USB's etc.