cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Domain Email Forwarding Stopped Working

Go to solution

Hi, can I get some advice on email forwarding which has stopped working.

Many years ago I purchased a domain through BT.  For all that time, I had several different email addresses on that domain which were forwarded to my btinternet email address.

I just realised that since around the early hours of Friday morning 20th November 2020, the forwarding is no longer working.  At least, it's working for the email address that the BT business account was originally set up under (which I don't actually care about), but it's not working for any of the emails going to name@mydomain.com

I have logged into the account and I'm brought to a screen "BT Business Dashboard".  From that screen, I can navigate to the domains and I can see that my domain is still valid until 2022.  It also says I have a hosting option active.

The weird part though is that there is no account number, just an account name "Group 1".  I have not been billed from this account for about 3 years, except for the invoices for the actual domain names every couple of years which were successfully paid.  

The screen claims that there is no billing account associated with this account.  A long time ago, I raised this with BT and asked them why they had stopped charging me for the hosting but they never came back to me.

The above account settings has been like that for a long time (at least 2 years), but the mail forwarding has still been working find during all that time.

I can then navigate to the option "Domains, Hosting and Office 365" - there I can then check my email settings, "review and manage your email accounts".

These settings appear correct and it appears to be correctly set to forward the mails to my btinternet account.

However - nothing is coming through on any of the addresses, except for the address that the original BT Business account was set to which is a btconnect.com address.

Can anyone help me with how to get this sorted - I tried to contact BT about it but it's asking for an mandatory account number which I don't have as there is no account number listed on the account.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Domain Email Forwarding Stopped Working

Go to solution

as it was a business account you need to post here  https://business.forums.bt.com/ as this is a residential forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Domain Email Forwarding Stopped Working

Go to solution
Well I spoke to 2 separate people at BT who told me 2 separate things, both of which I suspect were wrong.

What I eventually figured out was that if I reset the passwords on each individual email on the domain, I can log into the actual email account. I then found that forwarding was switched on with "do not keep a copy in this mailbox".

BT have switched the account into unpaid mode I guess, so I cannot forward emails or link a client to the accounts anymore, but if I unflag the above option, I can at least receive emails into a browser interface.

BT didn't warn me they were going to do this, so for about a week, all my emails were disappearing into a black hole.

BT also told me that they don't allow the option to pay a small fee to keep the mail functioning properly on business accounts, and it seems that they don't even allow business accounts that are purely for "lite" hosting purposes anymore unless you have your business broadband with them.

As such, my only real option to get what I want is to transfer all these domains out of BT, which I have now initiated.
0 Ratings