Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 43

Re: Dumb question from newbie

Go to solution

above continued- next to the advanced settings - there is a Connection tab and this is set to  connect to Local Area Network LAN. There is another option- connect to phone line- perhaps I should be using this instead of LAN??????

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 43

Go to solution

Cntd from above- I've been googling on this problem and came up with this paragraph (am sure the password is correct) and BT never had a network password on here before. I did with Tesco but have cancelled that account. An alternative issue was as  below

You saved the password but the registry contains incorrect information for the Protected Storeage system provider subkey for the user account .  

Can anyone suggest what to try please? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 43

Go to solution

@Carolcroft wrote:

Hi

Yes - I had deleted my user name for privacy before I did the screenshot

This is greyed out and picks it up from the field of input so I can't overtype my full BT email address.

But did it show your full  xxx@btinternet.com address or just the xxxx part? If it only showed the xxxx part, delete the account and start again and make sure you enter the full details when asked to enter username.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 43

Go to solution

The Network pwd is just the pwd of the POP3 server. It's just Outlook terminology & nowt to do with BT.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 43

Go to solution

But, @licquorice, @gg30340 told the OP to enter just "prefix only of email address". Which is it to be?

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 43

Go to solution

@Carolcroft wrote:

Cntd from above- I've been googling on this problem and came up with this paragraph (am sure the password is correct) and BT never had a network password on here before. I did with Tesco but have cancelled that account. An alternative issue was as  below

You saved the password but the registry contains incorrect information for the Protected Storeage system provider subkey for the user account .  

Can anyone suggest what to try please? 

Hi.

It's the settings that is the issue, and not particularly likely anything to do with registry,

The network password is actually asking you for the password for the email address.

What version of outlook are you using?

This is for Outlook 2013: Go back into the Outlook settings for the email account (File/Account Settings/Account Settings). Click the account you require and choose Change.

In this area you will most of the relevant details.

@For User Name - this can be just the bit of your email address before the @ (but can include the whole email address).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 43

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

The Network pwd is just the pwd of the POP3 server. It's just Outlook terminology & nowt to do with BT.

The Network password as shown in the picture supplied is the password of the email address and is something to do with BT!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 43

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

But, @licquorice, @gg30340 told the OP to enter just "prefix only of email address". Which is it to be?

It can be with or without.

Over the years, some people have found that sometimes it works with and not without or visa versa. Typically either works for me, and in various mail clients.

What is usually needed is the correct email address in the Email address section of the Outlook settings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 29 of 43

Go to solution

@Andy_N: I meant the terminology. BT does not call it "Network pwd".

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 43

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX wrote:

@Andy_N: I meant the terminology. BT does not call it "Network pwd".

Yes of course, my apologies ☺