Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shadders
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

E-Mail Locked - Too Many Login Attempts

Hi,

Just tried to login to the webmail and received this message  :

"You have had too many unsuccessful attempts to login. You have been temporarily locked out. Please try after 15 minutes."

E-mail as per Thunderbird still downloads.

Do i report this as a fault, or is this an attempt by someone to hack the account, and it has been detected, so there is no need to do anything ??, or still report anyway ?

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: E-Mail Locked - Too Many Login Attempts

Its a running counter of 4 incorrect attempts of username/password on the webmail login page.

Wait 15 minutes and if you enter the correct username/password - it should take you to your webmail.

If after 15 minutes, you are still getting it when trying to login, it could be your password is out of sync with your client and webmail and the password you think is correct is not what's on the server (don't ask why! - some known BT issues)

Reset your password and update it on the client and then try again on webmail (reset your password after the 15 minute lock has finished) - this should work.

0 Ratings
shadders
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi @New_To_UK 

Thanks - it failed at the first login attempt - so was not myself.

I tried later on webmail, and it works ok.

If it happens again, i will log a fault - as it would indicate a hacking attempt.

Thanks and regards,

Shadders.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Much more likely somebody had entered your email address incorrectly and tried to use their own password.

Either way, no point in reporting it, nothing anybody can do about it even if it was a hacking attempt.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Its not a fault - its a positive proactive attempt to protect your account when a wrong password has been tried on webmail 4 times. its an attempt which was prevented.

There is nothing to report, webmail is protected far better against attacks. As long as you have a strong password which is not easy to guess and you don't use elsewhere you should be fine. Its highly unlikely someone is trying to access your account all day long so chances of this happening are low.

Its annoying that you are locked out for 15 minutes but after that you should be fine if you enter the correct password. 

0 Ratings
shadders
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Without any indication of what the process is, for an account that is locked (not by my behaviour), then if it were to persist, raising a fault is the only option.

If BT were to state that for webmail or account access - as i understand that they use the same password - what their process is for hacking attempts - we could be assured that they do something behind the scenes, and customers need not worry.

Yahoo used to provide the list of IP addresses that had accessed, or attempted to access your account - if BT did the same - then the customer, if they so wished, could report such activity to action fraud etc.

I think companies should provide this information - if they do not have the resource to respond to potential hacking, then at least allow someone to do something, rather than leave it to chance and ignore issues also.

I follow good password practice.

Regards,

Shadders.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Its an interesting one whether access attempts should be shown - ip addresses are particularly complicated and location ips are not reliable, VPNs, mobile phone base stations have IP addresses etc...this could unnecessarily worry someone esp someone who is not tech literate. The jury is out on this one.

Most good companies do not ignore security - they take it very seriously, especially BT. They have not left all the onus on you, when they see malicious activity or something unusual, they lock your account. 

Lastly, a lot of this info on how is not deliberately shared for obvious reasons (the bad guys are always trying to get their hands on this info)

Kudos on the good password practice! either way - your original issue is nothing to worry about. 

0 Ratings