cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amj
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

E mail hell

So now I am affected by the constant need to reset e mail passwords, daily, sometimes twice a day. I could reset successfully but after a short while it would lock me out. This happens on outlook, outlook express, iPad, iPhone, imap, pop accounts.

i am now at a stage whereby I can not access any client e mail accounts, the only thing that works is webmail, clearly there has been some password synchronisation issues on the e mail servers. But chat support is next to useless, I am an it professional and know how to set up imap and pop e mail accounts and secure e mail clients.

why do bt seem unable to acknowledge there is a issue here server side.

i am now at the point where I have no option but to move my broadband and phone accounts to another provider.

grrrrrrrrrr

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: E mail hell

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Why are you changing the password?

There is no need to, even if the system says it can't recognise username/password - it's not a password issue. Sometimes changing it can kick the system into working, but it can cause all sorts of extra problems sometime - sync with BTID, not to mention having to alter all the other devices, some in more than one place.

If you have all these devices continually polling for access, then it's likely that some form of account lockout could occur if one of them can't access the account, even once - then others keep trying. If you do have this scenario, increase the time between checks on every device, or make it a manual check.

Also, if you do alter password - make sure all the devices are set NOT to poll the servers, since you need to wait at least 15 minutes after a password change to check apps/clients.

Rather than change ISP, simply get Gmail addresses and use them. If you were changing supplier, you would be getting new addresses anyway. Gradually tell all your contacts the new email address, all the online website login contact address etc - then you will be rid of a tied email address. Changing broadband supplier in the future after that won't cause any email issues.

Why they don't acknowledge a mail issue is also beyond me. It's been happening for years.

0 Ratings
Amj
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the reply, password change was at their request, and it was the only thing that seemed to work, so hence why I keep having to change.

as for numerous devices, I had taken the. Mail client off all devices bar one, but still the same issue prevails.

I had it working successfully all weekend then this morning it locked out.

i have tried resetting the password and leaving 24 hours before any client software was configured, this initially worked, but then after the weekend it locked out again.

i already have a gmail account and am slowly migrating all my addresses over to that, then unless it’s resolved I will cancel my bt account, as you have already identified, it’s not the first time it has happened and I am just not willing to keep putting up with this level of poor service, maybe if the chat support has been a bit more constructive I would persevere with it, but they just keep blaming the client software.

Thanks for your response and input, it’s appreciated and would welcome any insight into this problem the bt seem unwilling to acknowledge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@Amj wrote:

i am now at the point where I have no option but to move my broadband and phone accounts to another provider.

grrrrrrrrrr

If your broadband and phone are performing as they should and you are happy with them why do you have "no option but to move my broadband and phone to another provider."

As an IT Professional you will know you don't need to use the BT email system. You have stated that you already have a gmail account and are migrating your email to that. Once that is done you just stop using your BT email account.

0 Ratings
Amj
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

As I mentioned earlier, the service from the in terms of support is unacceptable, I purchase the whole package and I am not willing to put up with shoddy service, the amount of time e mail goes down is frustrating to say the least and I am I firm believer of voting with my feet. I will give them a fair amount of time to sort this, but there is plenty of competition out there.

if we all just put up with it then there is no incentive for them to improve, at the end of the day bt primary function is communications, and I expect better from them as such.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Looks like you will be leaving BT then. This problem, which only seems to affect some email accounts,  has been going on for years and I don't see BT doing anything soon to fix it.

0 Ratings
Lindse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hi

I have been having exactly the same problems with one of my BT Yahoo sub account email addresses. It was all working well enough (though not perfectly) using Outlook, but the problem started when I tried to log in to BT.com/email on another computer.  It didn't recognise the log in details at all, I stopped trying before it locked me out. As I couldn't log in I assumed it was a password issue so tried to change the password using the forgotten password option. It didn't change the password for the email address, but the BTID instead. As far as I can make out you cannot change the password for a BT Yahoo sub account, if you don't know the existing password. Then I started having problems with Outlook, in other words I received no emails to that address. This has never happened before with that email address in more than 8 years. So I sent an email listing all the problems I have encountered since I "upgraded" our account. I gave them notice that I have started the countdown (8 weeks) that the Ombudsman requires a complainant to give the service provider before a complaint can be considered by the Ombudsman. I too have a gmail account, but prefer Outlook. I am tied into the present BT package for a further 6 months, but will seriously consider our options then as we are paying over the odds for a substandard service. Sorry I'm of no help, I too failed to get a solution via live chat, or telephone and BT have not yet responded to my complaint on line form and follow up email.

0 Ratings
Amj
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

For a communications company it’s a poor service. I am 95% through migrating my e mail accounts, as soon as that’s done I am then going to investigate alternative suppliers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@Lindse wrote:
I too have a gmail account, but prefer Outlook.

????  If you mean MS Outlook the mail client, you can use it with Gmail.

0 Ratings
Amj
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

I have also set my gmail account via outlook and imap on iPad, and it a lot quicker and much more stable than bt/yahoo mail.

0 Ratings