cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davrh
Contributor
Message 1 of 671

E-mail password rejection

I have just joined the forum and this is my first posting. So I hope that I am doing it correctly.

I have an iMac running Mac OS X 10.5.8 and using Mail 3.6 with BT Broadband to handle my e-mails.

This worked successfully for twenty-one months, but about a month ago Mail, when checking for new e-mails, began intermittently displaying a window which reported that BT’s POP server rejected the password and asked me to re-enter the password or cancel. At first I re-entered the password and clicked OK. More recently I have clicked Cancel and then clicked Take All Accounts Online in the Mailbox menu. In both cases the window disappeared – until the next time.

I have five accounts, and this has happened on all of them at different times, but it seems to happen more frequently on two of them. I have had no problems sending or receiving e-mails, but have had to get rid of these windows several times an hour.

When I first reported the problem to BT, I was told that it was a known problem and was expected to be solved in two or three days. However, when I returned from holiday the problem was still there. I again reported it to BT and was passed from one person to another for about a week. I was asked to re-enter my five passwords in Mail’s Accounts pane, BT deleted my five accounts and set them up again, and I was asked to send e-mails from one account to another, which unsurprisingly was successful – the problem is intermittent. Eventually I was told that BT’s server was working correctly and the problem must be with Apple’s software.

Can somebody please tell me how I can stop these tiresome little windows from appearing?

0 Ratings
670 REPLIES
MikeO
Beginner
Message 2 of 671

Re: E-mail password rejection

I have exactly the same irritating problem!
0 Ratings
Hazy
Message 3 of 671

I am having problems signing into my btinternet. (Yahoo) email accout online.

It's not recognising the password I've had for many years. Reset password option is not accepting my security answers.

I am still getting my email just fine on my blackberry but I need to go online as I think some emails have gone into my junk folder and I need to check. I don't check my account online often.

This is most annoying. Emailed BT yesterday via onlie help page but have yet to receive a reply.
0 Ratings
dridout
Message 4 of 671

I am having the same problem, does anyone know the reason or the solution?  MAC say it is not them, after much trying to solve in my case and BT say it is MAC!

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 671

@dridout wrote:

I am having the same problem, does anyone know the reason or the solution?  MAC say it is not them, after much trying to solve in my case and BT say it is MAC!

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

May I ask how long this has been a problem ?

Sometimes these are just fleeting problems that may last a few days. There have been a few cases recently where some user's access has been flakey for longer than a few days.

Frankly it has nothing to do with a Mac, if it was there there would be 10s of 1000s of people with the same problem, and there would therefore be many, many reports.

0 Ratings
morganmadplus8
Beginner
Message 6 of 671

I am having exactly the same problem and this has been going on for several weeks. I am sure it is not a Mac problem as the same thing hapens on Windows and Linux.

Neil

0 Ratings
MikeO
Beginner
Message 7 of 671

Been having this problem for many months, luckily I don't use the email address very much as I have better alternatives but it would be nice to know why it happens and if there is a way to fix it

0 Ratings
Jimmer
Beginner
Message 8 of 671

This has also been happening to me. My hardware and versions of software are exactly the same as davrh who started this thread; I however only have the one account. 

I have also had the problem accessing email from my iPhone 4, both at home on wi-fi, and out and about using 3G. This has led me to believe that the problem is not with my equipment ...

I have reset the password several times now and immediately after having done that, all is well for a short while ... until the new password is once again rejected.

Hayulp hayulp!

0 Ratings
crossroads
Beginner
Message 9 of 671

Am also having exactly the same irritating problem as davrh (the original poster).

My configuration is Intel iMac, OS X 10.5.8 & Apple Mail 3.6.

Worked fine for about 3 years, then started rejecting passwords as below:-

The POP server “mail.btinternet.com” rejected the password for user “xxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com”

Please re-enter your password, or cancel.

Problem started about five months ago. I am using 3 BTinternet mail addresses within 2 Apple user accounts on the same iMac - all the BT e-mail addresses have the same problem.

Interestingly, a gmail account operated within the Mail client does not have the problem.

I have increased the time period for the Apple mail client to "check for new mail",  as an attempt reduce the number of pop-ups and relieve the irritation factor.

As passwords are set within in the Mail client account information, this should not be an invalid password issue.

I suspect it may be a timing issue on the BT Mail server side.

I had hoped the issue would be resolved with the new update of BT Yahoo - which is advertised as being 2 x faster.

But it hasn't!

Really need a fix for this.

0 Ratings
forester
Contributor
Message 10 of 671

I have exactly the same problem on both a macbook and the imac, password accepted/password rejected for the email. I wish BT would sort it !

Forester.

0 Ratings