cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

E-mail received today from apparently BT. Is it genuine or spam?

Go to solution
Spoiler

Hi I have received the following e-mail today and wish to check whether it is spam or genuine. I have a Premium BT Mail account, but no Broadband account. Below is the message is it spam? If it is, it may be worth BT putting an e-mail out to users to prevent them from switching to a different supplier, I almost did. But suspicions regarding the short notice of the change and links has made me question this.

email.png

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5

Re: E-mail received today from apparently BT. Is it genuine or spam?

Go to solution

Received the same email and suspicions aroused. Contacted BT via chatroom and told it was phishing. Passed on to phishing@bt.com. The email threatens that if no action taken, I would lose my email address and all contacts.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @SiDai,

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the Community.

That email is a phishing attempt. I've had to edit the image to remove the email address shown. I've also put a marker against that email so the next time the owner accesses it they will have to begin our online recovery process and will be taken through steps to protect themselves in future.

Some of the following links are very helpful for spotting phishing attempts:

What is a phishing scam? Is the email I have received genuine?

How to deal with fraudulent emails

Thanks

DanielS

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Phish emails can usually easily be checked by hovering over the links shown. If they don't go to a BT site, then they will clearly be spam.

The problem with BT and many companies in that they nearly always use tokenised web beacons to see who clicks on email links. I've said to them this on so many occasions to stop it, yet it falls on deaf ears. They would rather know who clicks on their received emails than protect end users from clicking on phish emails.

For example, email received says visit :-

bt.com/contract

yet the link shows :-

http://ecomm.bt.com/optiext/optiextension.dll?ID="tokenised ID"

It's fairly easy to see that it's a bt.com website, but it's not in any way the best way to do it in my view. Spammers know this of course.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the 'hovering tip'. Must admit I'd forgotten that!

0 Ratings