cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

EMails Blocked As Spam due to BT ISP IP Address

I am having emails bounce as being blocked for spam reasons. I am told this is because my IP address allocated to my BT hub is blacklisted. I have rebooted the hub and simply got another ip address which is also blacklisted! 

BT need to fix this problem.

I found another post from BT suggesting all their IP addresses are blacklisted so that is no help. They are also sugest using webmail - who wants to do that?

The irony is that the only addresses I seem unable to email are those of my friends with btinternet email addresses. So BT's ip address problem is preventing its own customers getting emails that they want.

BT need to sort this out.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: EMails Blocked As Spam due to BT ISP IP Address

Hello,

I do believe a lot of people use webmail. However, a relatively cheap alternative is to use a VPN. This then changes the IP Address that you appear to be coming from, therefore cutting out the inclusion of the BT supplied IP Address. If you are using Apple Products you could sign up for (as little as £0.79 per month) iCloud+ to use iCloud Private Relay, which will amount to the same thing, changing your outgoing IP as it, and all VPNs, tunnel your packets through to an external server before letting them out on the wider internet.

Should you 'have to'? No. But, the option is there.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

If you are not using webmail what are you using?

Can you send and receive if you do use webmail?

What is the error message that you are getting?

Do you have a signature or any graphics included in the bounced emails?

Who told you it is because your BT IP address is blacklisted?

What type of devices do you use your email on?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Yes, we also can't get onto emails either.  Keep getting the site isn't secure.  Thought it was just us.   Is there a problem with BT then??

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

@jude_1972 wrote:

Yes, we also can't get onto emails either.  Keep getting the site isn't secure.  Thought it was just us.   Is there a problem with BT then??

I think you are referring to a different problem.

See this thread.

Unable to log in to email - Help! - BT Community

Message 6 of 17

Thank you.  Will take a look.   Just joined this afternoon

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Re Webmail: This is a very poor option if you have multiple email addresses to monitor and send from. I am involved the organisation of various clubs etc which means I need multiple email addresses. Also webmail is not suitable if you travel about and may not always be online.

Re Mail Application: I use Thunderbird but also tried Gmail with the same result of bouncing emails.

Re VPN: As you say, why should I need this to solve a BT issue. A BT issue which affects both the sending and receiving of emails. Furthermore, I am not sure it would remove the original sending ip address but have never tried it.

If you google this issue you will find many reporting the same issue who it seems most often just keep rebooting their hub until they do find an ip address which is not blocked.

BT need to address this.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

@bobjgarrett wrote:

Re Webmail: This is a very poor option if you have multiple email addresses to monitor and send from. I am involved the organisation of various clubs etc which means I need multiple email addresses. Also webmail is not suitable if you travel about and may not always be online. Nobody is advocating that you use webmail. I asked if webmail is working to try and assist diagnostics. I would note however at this time there are problems with BT webmail in that you can not log onto it due to a BT fault.

Re Mail Application: I use Thunderbird but also tried Gmail with the same result of bouncing emails. If you have the issue when you are using gmail, this would be using gmail servers and not the BT servers so would have nothing to do with BT.

Re VPN: As you say, why should I need this to solve a BT issue. A BT issue which affects both the sending and receiving of emails. Furthermore, I am not sure it would remove the original sending ip address but have never tried it. If you are using your email from various different locations, presumably you are not always using a BT connection and therefore not a BTIP address so would that not rule out it being a BT IP address problem.

If you google this issue you will find many reporting the same issue who it seems most often just keep rebooting their hub until they do find an ip address which is not blocked.

BT need to address this.

You have not answered all the questions that I asked.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

You misunderstand my reference to gmail. That was gmail as an App, not as the service itself. Using the gmail app will result in the same ip address source as Thunderbird. So the problem remains.

Yes, I use my PC, phone and tablet from multiple locations but the problems arise from home over my BT Internet.

As to your questions...

If you are not using webmail what are you using?
As I said, Thunderbird on PC, Outlook on another PC, Gmail (the app) on tablet and phone

Can you send and receive if you do use webmail?
I am not using webmail and have no plans to.

What is the error message that you are getting?
host mx.lb.btinternet.com [213.120.69.5]
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
554 Message rejected on 2022/07/19 19:44:22 BST, policy (3.2.1.1) ID (62BD226103AA4AE9) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM

Do you have a signature or any graphics included in the bounced emails?
No

Who told you it is because your BT IP address is blacklisted?
My web site hosting company suggested this and checking the ip address I found it was blacklisted.

What type of devices do you use your email on?
PCs, tablet, phone

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Further testing of this issue this morning reveals the following.

I have reset my hub numerous times to get different ip addresses. Every one has been blacklisted on at least two and sometimes four antispam services. I note that SPAMHAUS say this does not stop emails being sent.

The only email addresses that my emails are being bounced by other contacts with btinternet email addresses. So it would seem only BT are blocking emails flagged as from their own blocklisted ip addresses.

How daft is that!

0 Ratings