Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ploppy
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Email Account Deleted

Go to solution

A couple of days ago I discovered that my main BT email account no longer exists.  I understand that this has happened due to inactivity - it's not my main email address because one day I may leave BT, but I do use it for other things e.g. as the recovery account for other acccounts.  Customer support have told me that there's no way to reactivate the account - I can create another email account but the original is gone, forever, and I can't create a new one with the same name as the deleted one.  I can't believe BT do this without warning - I get emails every month regarding my bill so surely they could include a warning that an email account is about to be deleted.

So, my question is: is it true that the email account can't be recovered?  And if it can't be recovered, can it at least be recreated or reactivated?  Forgive me if I don't believe everything I'm told by customer support.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Email Account Deleted

Go to solution

@ploppywrote:

A couple of days ago I discovered that my main BT email account no longer exists.  I understand that this has happened due to inactivity - it's not my main email address because one day I may leave BT, but I do use it for other things e.g. as the recovery account for other acccounts.  Customer support have told me that there's no way to reactivate the account - I can create another email account but the original is gone, forever, and I can't create a new one with the same name as the deleted one.  I can't believe BT do this without warning - I get emails every month regarding my bill so surely they could include a warning that an email account is about to be deleted.

So, my question is: is it true that the email account can't be recovered?  And if it can't be recovered, can it at least be recreated or reactivated?  Forgive me if I don't believe everything I'm told by customer support.

Hi.

Unfortunately, the T&Cs do state that if an account isn't accessed (see 7h) for 90 days it can be suspended without notice, then deleted after a further 60 days if not reactivated.

https://www.bt.com/products/static/terms/feb2017btmail.html

By access this means via webmail or app/client access using the correct BTinternet servers.

With regard recovery, there have been very rare times where accounts have been resurrected. However the general case is that the account is gone. It can't be re-used.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Well, yes, I know that now - but who reads T&Cs?

I'm flabbergasted that as a BT customer who pays for BT fibre, BT TV, BT Sport and HD, that they'd just delete an email account with no warning. Regardless of T&Cs.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

@ploppywrote:
Well, yes, I know that now - but who reads T&Cs?

I'm flabbergasted that as a BT customer who pays for BT fibre, BT TV, BT Sport and HD, that they'd just delete an email account with no warning. Regardless of T&Cs.

Well I guess hardly anyone does read them, for a vast amount of things, however that can't be used as excuse. Even if it mentions it on the bill email, do you actually read all the information in that email?

If you've set up accounts in case you move elsewhere - then surely your best bet is to move everything from the BTinternet address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

See link about deleted email accounts and how they can be recovered under certain circumstances.  Note the recovery option only applies to BTMail accounts and not BTYahoo email accounts.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44499/~/why-has-my-bt-email-address-been-suspended-o...

If the account has been deleted it can not be recovered and the email address can not be re-issued for reuse.

As regards being notified about deletion of the account. If the warning was sent to the email account that it was going to be deleted for non use would it not be fair to assume that it would not be read which would obviously render the warning useless.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution
Well, obviously, I wouldn't have the email sent to an account that I rarely use. BT communicate with me via my main email address which is gmail. That's where they send my billing info. That's where they would/should have sent the deletion warning.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@ploppy wrote:
Well, obviously, I wouldn't have the email sent to an account that I rarely use. BT communicate with me via my main email address which is gmail. That's where they send my billing info. That's where they would/should have sent the deletion warning.

That is of course if you are the "owner" of that email account. Because the BT Broadband packages allow the Broadband account holder to set up eleven email accounts and give them to any person that they want, BT would not necessarily know that you are the email account holder of the account that has been deleted.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
Didn't understand that comment. What I'm saying is that BT should have sent a warning email to the address they send the billing info - which is my BT ID - which is gmail. Is that clear?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@ploppy wrote:
Didn't understand that comment. What I'm saying is that BT should have sent a warning email to the address they send the billing info - which is my BT ID - which is gmail. Is that clear?

Yes that is clear. What I am saying is that BT do not necessarily know that the email address that has been deleted is now anything to do with your BTID or your gmail address just because you are the bill payer.

Did you specifically, at any time tell BT that they should contact you on your gmail account in relation to any problems with any BT email addresses attached to your BT Broadband package? 

Assuming you are the BT Broadband account holder you can set up eleven email addresses and gift them to eleven other people who would then set up their own BTID and manage the email accounts that you have gifted them.  These people then become responsible for these email addresses.

For all BT know, the deleted email address could have been "gifted" to somebody and as such is no longer yours and because of GDPR they can not send anything regarding that email account to anybody else.

What is needed is when an email account is set up by who ever, they should be required to supply another email address that they can be contacted on if need be. This presently not a requirement.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
Well, let's put it this way. When I signed up to BT broadband in 2013, I received a welcome email. Let's say my name is Fred Bloggs (it's not). In that welcome email it says that my contact email is fred.bloggs@gmail.com. It also says "Your broadband username is fred.bloggs@btinternet.com". Furthermore, "Your broadband username is also your BT email address. fred.bloggs@btinternet.com is the email address they've deleted. How can that be anyone else's (gifted or otherwise) email? They should have sent a warning email to fred.bloggs@gmail.com about the pending deletion of fred.bloggs@btinternet.com. BT know them both as my email addresses. They've basically said so in the welcome email. To argue otherwise is somewhat obtuse don't you think?
0 Ratings