Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Email Account Deleted

Go to solution

I am not arguing one way or the other, in fact I am not arguing. I am pointing out why it is possible that BT do not send out warnings that an email account is going to be deleted and what could be done to alert the email account holder of the impending deletion.

As has already been pointed out to you it is in the BT Terms and Conditions and in the BT help pages about setting up an email account that the email account must be used regularly to keep it active.

See link.

What is a BT Email address

As it would appear that I can be of no assistance to you I'll bow out of your thread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

@ploppywrote:
Didn't understand that comment. What I'm saying is that BT should have sent a warning email to the address they send the billing info - which is my BT ID - which is gmail. Is that clear?

I can't see why BT would send a warning email to an account that has nothing to do with the issue.

When you signed up, somewhere it would have said you needed to check your email address regularly for service emails. Changing to a non-BT address effectively makes the new address the one for service emails/bills etc.

As has been implied, there could be a variety of reasons for not sending details about the BTinternet account to a different account (either your gmail account or indeed a different BTinternet account).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

You can gift any @btinternet.com email address that has either been allocated to you or created by you. BT have no knowledge of what you have done to any email addresses, they are only aware of your primary address (a Gmail address in this case).

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888/~/how-do-i-create-and-activate-a-new-bt-email-a...

Explains

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 18

Re: Email Account Deleted - NO EXCUSE FOR DOING IT.

Go to solution

Don’t let anybody tell you, this is alright.

I too, paid good money, every month, and little did I know that all the time I had an impossible job trying to get straight answers and any help from BT support about logging in to access my account, BT were ticking up some secret counter.

Their lousy support is why I could not access the account.  I used the email account as a filing cabinet.  I paid hundreds of pounds over many years to have this email account available.

BT deleted it WITHOUT NOTICE, and WITHOUT ALERTS IN ADVANCE.  Some absolutely vital records, gone.  Irreplaceable.  When I have the time - after I retire - I will revisit this properly.

Now, someone from BT is going to say the sort of drivel that has already been said - that there’s reasons for why they did it, and they seek to legitimise their actions.  Why then, DO BT REFUSE TO PUT INTO WRITING THE FACTS THEY STATED HAPPILY BY TELEPHONE, THAT THEY DELETED MY UPTODATE, PAID-FOR EMAIL ACCOUNT, BECAUSE REGARDLESS OF THE FACT I COULD NOT ACCESS IT DUE TO THEIR MESSING WITH PASSWORDS AND ROTTEN SUPPORT, THEY HAD A SECRET COUNTER TICKING UP I HAVE NO ACCESS TO AND COULD NOT KNOW THE STATE OF.

No, BT are one of the most rotten providers, right down there with Virgin, who have a whole set of different issues all their own.

Lastly, there was an omen of this I should have realised - BT installed my broadband USING AN OLD UNMARKED ALARM CABLE that was already existing in the house, to go from front to back, where my PC was located, and where the hub was placed at that time.

Shocking, and damaging, and perhaps in the end costly for me as those documents were vital but I did not know they were vital until I tried to retire recently and had a case to make.  I thought ‘it’s fine, I’ve got those job details in my email...’.

Oh no I did not, because my provider deleted it.  I think the support people even said ‘we sent notice to the email’.  I said ‘the one I couldn’t access because you’d messed up the passwords and support was impossible to either understand, and in fact did not work?’

BT asked me when I left, but I have paid for retention of what email accounts were not deleted, why I was leaving.  I told them the above.  ‘Right’ was all the customer support guy said.  I said ‘That’s it?  No recompense, apology, or even a willingness to put in writing what you’ve done?’

There the sad story ends - and one more thing, I think they’ve done it again.  I can’t login to the account I have been paying for to be retained after moving to another provider.

People rely on their email accounts, use them like filing cabinets, all the time.  Yahoo provide free accounts, and do not delete them without warning.  BT literally could not have done any more damage or be more incompetent, than they have been.  They never accept responsibility, and could not care less.

That’s what happens, when some employees still have bulletproof contracts from 40 years ago, and you have still the vestige of a monopoly in the telecomms market.  I presume government contracts keep them alive, because they are certainly impregnable as far as any normal consumer goes.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution
Don’t let anybody tell you, this is alright.

I too, paid good money, every month, and little did I know that all the time I had an impossible job trying to get straight answers and any help from BT support about logging in to access my account, BT were ticking up some secret counter.

Their lousy support is why I could not access the account. I used the email account as a filing cabinet. I paid hundreds of pounds over many years to have this email account available.

BT deleted it WITHOUT NOTICE, and WITHOUT ALERTS IN ADVANCE. Some absolutely vital records, gone. Irreplaceable. When I have the time - after I retire - I will revisit this properly.

Now, someone from BT is going to say the sort of drivel that has already been said - that there’s reasons for why they did it, and they seek to legitimise their actions. Why then, DO BT REFUSE TO PUT INTO WRITING THE FACTS THEY STATED HAPPILY BY TELEPHONE, THAT THEY DELETED MY UPTODATE, PAID-FOR EMAIL ACCOUNT, BECAUSE REGARDLESS OF THE FACT I COULD NOT ACCESS IT DUE TO THEIR MESSING WITH PASSWORDS AND ROTTEN SUPPORT, THEY HAD A SECRET COUNTER TICKING UP I HAVE NO ACCESS TO AND COULD NOT KNOW THE STATE OF.

No, BT are one of the most rotten providers, right down there with Virgin, who have a whole set of different issues all their own.

Lastly, there was an omen of this I should have realised - BT installed my broadband USING AN OLD UNMARKED ALARM CABLE that was already existing in the house, to go from front to back, where my PC was located, and where the hub was placed at that time.

Shocking, and damaging, and perhaps in the end costly for me as those documents were vital but I did not know they were vital until I tried to retire recently and had a case to make. I thought ‘it’s fine, I’ve got those job details in my email...’.

Oh no I did not, because my provider deleted it. I think the support people even said ‘we sent notice to the email’. I said ‘the one I couldn’t access because you’d messed up the passwords and support was impossible to either understand, and in fact did not work?’

BT asked me when I left, but I have paid for retention of what email accounts were not deleted, why I was leaving. I told them the above. ‘Right’ was all the customer support guy said. I said ‘That’s it? No recompense, apology, or even a willingness to put in writing what you’ve done?’

There the sad story ends - and one more thing, I think they’ve done it again. I can’t login to the account I have been paying for to be retained after moving to another provider.

People rely on their email accounts, use them like filing cabinets, all the time. Yahoo provide free accounts, and do not delete them without warning. BT literally could not have done any more damage or be more incompetent, than they have been. They never accept responsibility, and could not care less.

That’s what happens, when some employees still have bulletproof contracts from 40 years ago, and you have still the vestige of a monopoly in the telecomms market. I presume government contracts keep them alive, because they are certainly impregnable as far as any normal consumer goes.

[EDIT - it also seems, that the ‘gurus’ are putting forward defences to BT’s actions, yet state in effect, they are just speculating on ‘what if’ reasons for BT’s actions.  I put forward this final analogy - if I fail to pay the mortgage on my house, the bank can remove it from me to pay for it.  This is stated in the T&Cs.  If I don’t default, they cannot.  Moreover, for a bank to say perhaps ‘you haven’t used your house for 90 days, so we took it back’ the first question to be asked is ‘Why were you still taking the mortgage payments?’

BT carries on, billing customers and taking their money, despite removing the service and data they were safeguarding.  QUESTION: What’s the difference between BT deleting your account and a hacker deleting it?  Answer - if it was a hacker you might hear of it in the news.  It is inexcusable and the behaviour of a vandal.

It would not be the first time, a company had put T&Cs in a contract, despite them being unreasonable and as in this case, without any real concern for how the ‘eviction’ of an email holder would be executed fairly and with least damage.

I want a statement, from BT about MY email account, and exactly what they did, in writing.  I want the times and dates of when the clock started ticking, and when the thing was actually destroyed, when my data was obliterated.  A simple statement of the facts about what happened to MY account.  Not general T&C excuses and nonsense.  BT REFUSE to put in writing what they did and when and why.  They could simply say what the gurus here have said, but applied to my account thanks.  I don’t care what tiny bottom-of-the-document T&C there is, some are simply outrageous, and in this case, the execution of the policy caused further damage.

So even if you stand by the T&C argument, let’s not stand by that BT choose to not have a workable and thought-through email account destruction policy, as if it’s alright.  I accept neither the T&C reasoning, nor the absence of any shred of care for what damage could be caused to a customer, who perfectly rightly could have been telephoned in advance of destruction of the account let’s be honest.

Such is the importance of email data, there’s no doubt a virtually costless telephone call to alert the user/customer is warranted.  It’s amateur hour with BT, all the way.  EDIT ENDS.]

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 18

Re: Email Account Deleted - NO EXCUSE FOR DOING IT.

Go to solution

It’s because BT are running the shop from a help desk in India. 
The deleted my account in 2017, saying they sent me an email in 2010 saying I need to pay for my account or risk losing my account. Such an email sounds like a scam from Nigeria so I ignored it..... until in 2017 they deleted my account. The website says it will suspend the account for a period to allow you to access you account - however this wants done. The reason - BT said I haven’t logged into my email, but I send an email the week of my account being deleted. I log in via an App to keep it tidy.

I agree with you. It’s a disgusting way to behave deleting account with no warning. 
I think they touch this action weighing up the cost of any legal claim (from who can be bothered) versus the cost to BT to maintain storage / service of email accounts (especially the free talk21 account I had for 20years).

I have lost contact with so many people due to this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution
I contacted BT within the 60day period (in fact within a week) and they said it can’t be reactivated as I was not a paying customer anymore.
My email was Jamie.seddon@talk21.com which I had for over 20yrs
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution
Andy_N, let me tell you BT do not follow there own disclaimers. My account was deleted without the 60lag period where you can reactivate it.
Jog on.
0 Ratings