Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HopHead
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Email Account Migration - Query re IMAP v POP

Go to solution

I have a query about the migration from Yahoo to BT Email, apologies if it has been raised before.

I currently use Mozilla Thunderbird on two PCs.  I'm using IMAP, which synchronises both PCs with my email account such that all emails in all folders look the same on both devices, if my understanding is correct.  BT have told me that I'm being migrated to their new email service next week, and I need to change my settings from IMAP to POP in order to continue using Thunderbird.  However, their explanation implies that this synchronisation will no longer happen when using POP.  Is this correct?  If so, how on earth do I get email on all my devices to look the same?  It doesn't sound like much of an upgrade to me.  Hopefully I've got it wrong, but could some kind soul enlighten me without getting too technical?  Many thanks in advance.

HopHead.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Email Account Migration - Query re IMAP v POP

Go to solution

You have been given totally rubbish information, if you are using Thunderbird you can continue to use IMAP as before and should see no difference.

0 Ratings
HopHead
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks, actually I think it was brain-fade on my part.  I didn't read the instructions closely enough, and thought they meant I had to change to POP, whereas all I need to do is delete and recreate all my accounts but still with IMAP settings.  So here goes . . .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

If you are already using secure ports 993 and 465 there is no need to do anything.

Edit: Just change the ports and tick SSL if you are stiill using insecure ports rather than delete and re-create

0 Ratings
HopHead
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks licquorice.  My IMAP Mail Server settings use Port 993 and connection security SSL/TLS, but the server name is imap.mail.yahoo.com.  Similarly, my Outgoing Mail Server settings use Port 465 and SSL/TLS, but the server name is smtp.mail.yahoo.com.  Presumably I need to change the server names to the appropriate BT ones - if so, I guess I just need to replace yahoo with bt in both server names, but would appreciate it if you could confirm this.  Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Yes, just change the server to mail.btinternet.com for both incoming and outgoing

0 Ratings
HopHead
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

All four email accounts on both of my PCs have now been reset to the new IMAP settings, and have been sending emails to and receiving from a non-BT account ok, so all seems to be working.  I presume when BT say they will switch me next week, in practice they will just switch off my email accounts on the Yahoo mail server, which must currently be running in parallel on the BT server.  Again, many thanks for your help licquorice.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

In theory that should indeed be the case, however, there is a degree of faffing about with BTID and gifting sub accounts that you will need to complete. There are various threads describing the operation if you have a trawl through this forum. I haven't been migrated yet so can't speak from personal experience, for some everything has been completely straightforward, for others, a nightmare.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

To make your life easy with the migration you should make your MyBT BTID your primary BT email address and password prior to the migration. ie. when you log onto MyBT you have to use your email address and password. ( Not the best most secure thing BT have thought of but it is what they are wanting at the moment) If you do that once you are migrated you need to log on to BTMail via

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

and it will take you through the migration process which is fairy straight forward.

0 Ratings
HopHead
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

My BTID uses an old AOL email address from before I changed to BT Broadband.  I have just tried to change it to my current primary BT email address, but am getting this message: 

This username already exists in another profile. Please use another email address or if you don't think this should already be in use, please contact us

I can however log into the system from the link that gg30340 has provided, using my primary BT email address and password.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

HopHead.

0 Ratings