Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robertm1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Email Address

Hello if someone could help please.

Owing to intermittent unrepairable faults and slow broadband speeds (0.9Mbps) the recently attended at my home Openreach Engineer asked BT to try and find me a solution.

His suggestion was that I remained permanently connected to my back up Mini Hub as I was a Halo customer.

BT however suggested I move to a 4G home hub and cancel my broadband via wire.

This I did.

The BT Operator advised "my email address would not be affected" - the Openreach guy witnessed this , I asked at least "twice".

Since however on My BT I'm informed my email will be stopped and all contents erased after a couple of months unless I go to Premium Mail.

I have raised a complaint which BT are now on day 12 of 14 of the time window the said they would reply in.

I now have a red box also on 'My BT page ' advising my BT email account is due to be downgraded in addition to the one explaining I  am to be terminated unless I move to Premium  !

Could someone explain please ? - I am still with BT its not like I've jumped ship !

Its also asking me to name my favourite email address , which I only have one anyway.

Will I still have some sort of email address with BT if I don't pay the 7.50 a month for Premium ?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Email Address

You can be moved onto the free BT Basic Email.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

0 Ratings
robertm1
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks.

Just so I’m clear as it is important as you’ll appreciate.

I have seen the red button saying my account is to be downgraded.

I’ve registered a favourite email.

Is that now all I need to do ?

Further and that I should ignore the previous notice on MyBt that my email and all it’s content is to be deleted which is still visible but before the downgrade note shows on the webpage as it won’t happen ?

Apologies for being persnickety.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If you go to the foot of the link I posted it gives you instructions how to move to the Basic email service.

One thing you should be aware of in case you have not read it, you can only access Basic email via a web browser. It will not work using an email client such as Outlook or an email app on a mobile device.

If you want to use an email client/ app you will need to take out a BTPremium Email subscription.

0 Ratings
robertm1
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Yes I’ve read it many thanks and I think it’s downgrading me , as it says I’m due to be downgraded , rather than terminating me.

Have read the limitations of use , I’m essentially gradually moving my address book to gmail as a precaution anyway.

As said in my original post though , I’m still with BT it’s not that I’ve left and it wasn’t me who suggested changing to the 4G home hub it was the aforementioned because a minimum speed they couldn’t guarantee me.

I now pay significantly more per month but my email is not as good ? - seems not great customer relations.

My raised complaint about this I am still to receive a call promised within 14 days but 48 hours to go , hopefully I’ll get one fingers crossed to avoid having to raise again.

The operator in front of the Openreach Engineer clearly stated their would be no change to my email , thankfully the call was recorded.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

The  "problem" is that your email account comes as part of your broadband package so it follows that if you cancel your broadband  you effectively cancel your email account as well.

There is no option to have a BT email account with any of the other BT products or as a stand alone item other than paying for BT Premium email.

It is only recently that BT introduced the Basic Email, prior to that your email account would have been deleted.

0 Ratings