cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave-user
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Email Addresses have been moved into Friends and Family

I have been a BT internet email user for 20 years.   Originally, I was allowed 6 email addresses, with one of them being the "main" email address.   I set up 5 email addresses at the outset and these have been used ever since.   In recent years, there have been few problems with the email service, so I have not visited the main email account configuration page for a long time.

Over the last two days, I was not able to receive or send emails on the email address that I use most often.  Fortunately, this problem has been fixed, but while investigating this problem I visited the main email account configuration page.

I found that the 5 email addresses that I originally setup have been divided into two groups.  Three are in the first section titled "Active email addresses".  Two are in the second section titled "Email addresses you've given to friends and family" and one of those is the account I use most often, which I certainly haven't given to friends or family.

What determines which section email addresses appear in?

How can I move email addresses in the "friends and family" section back into the "Active email addresses" section?

I think the email address that I use most often is now associated with another BT ID which was created when I placed an order with BT and accidentally referenced this email address rather than the original "main" email address.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Email Addresses have been moved into Friends and Family

If you scroll down in the email management section of MyBT you will see a button labelled Import an email address. Its fairly academic anyway as you still have access to the email address and can manage it by logging in to MyBT with the other BTID.

0 Ratings
dave-user
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried importing the email address, but I get a message saying: "This email address is already linked to your account!".

I have done some more investigation:

• I have my original BT account (now a BT ID) with the five email addresses I created originally.  The email address I use most often (let's call it Email Address A) has ended up in the "friends and family" list.  The only option shown against this email address (in 'See Options') is 'Remove from my account'.

• I have a second BT ID which also includes Email Address A.  The name of this BT ID is the same as the name of Email Address A.  I think this BT ID was created when I placed an order with BT and gave Email Address A as the contact email.  I certainly didn't ask for another BT ID to be created.  The options shown against this email address (in 'See Options') are 'Make favourite', 'Change password' and 'Delete email address'.

• I don't want a second BT ID.  I want control of Email Address A to be back in my original BT ID and not in the "friends and family list.

You say it is fairly academic, but I don't want to have to manage my email addresses in two different places.

In both BT ID's it says: "Want to view, organise and manage all your BT email addresses in one place?".

The answer is "Yes".  How can I achieve this?

Reading a couple of other posts in this forum, it seems that Moderators can sort out this type of problem.  Is that right?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

What is it you actually want to 'manage', all you can 'manage' is give it away, delete it or change the password. Presuming you don't want to do either of the first 2, you don't need to login to MyBT to change the password, so yes, it is pretty academic as to what BTID it is actually linked to.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 5 of 17

Hi @dave-user,

Thanks for sending over the details. I've picked them up and opened a case. Before we go any further can you try the advice on https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/can-i-move-my-bt-email-address-to-another-account... and let me know if it help?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Riverside
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

I have the same problem.  

Very longstanding BT customer.  One of my email addresses is in the "Email addresses you've given to friends and family" section.  The others are all (correctly) in the "Active email addresses" section.

For the one email address in "Email addresses you've given to friends and family" :

1) When I try the "Import an email address" function, I get a red error message "This email address is already linked to your account!"

2) When I try "See Options" then "Remove from my account", I get a red error message "Sorry, something went wrong and we can't remove <email address> from your account right now.  Please try again later"

It's more than an 'academic' issue : it means I cannot use the "Switch Account" function on the webmail form to flip to that mailbox.  

I suspect I'm stuck in a technical cul-de-sac after some historical shenanigans with BT IDs.  I can't see any other functions on my online account that I can use to fix this.  How can I get this resolved ?

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 17

Hi @Riverside,

Welcome back to the Community.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your email addresses.

We will need to take a look into this for you to get to the bottom of the issue. I have sent you a private message.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
MrMike
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Hello @Matt-S 
I have a very similar issue to that described by dave-user and Riverside for which you appear to have investigated a solution. I.E. In MyBT > Manage Your Emails, I'd like to be able to move email addresses between the headings Active Email Addresses and Given to Friends & Family. Would you be able to help by sharing it please?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Regards

0 Ratings
Riverside
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Just reporting back : BT did some internal technical stuff. After which all my email accounts are now correctly listed in the "Active email addresses" section, and when I am logged into MyBT I can flip between them all using the "Switch Account" function top right of the email webpage.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 10 of 17

Hi @MrMike I'll send you a private message so you can get in contact with the moderation team. 

0 Ratings