Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jencustomer
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

Email App Client issues. Unable to log on via android app

Go to solution

I have a premium email service and long standing client with BT email. I have been utilising an email client app - outlook & Gmail - after yahoo mail became devoid. I used my app on my phone this morning without any issue. I changed my password on the BT homepage and this simple, security measure, has caused issues whereby my details are being shown as incorrect.

I was advised today by 2 customer service reps, that I can no longer access my email via an email client app. I can only access via web portal. The first rep was abrupt and very matter of fact....the second hung up on me whilst verifying my account. Aweful service and Im completely baffled by the old fashioned concepts adopted by BT regarding email client apps. Even more baffled that it was working this morning now, no longer recognises my account!

I researched online, I followed the instructions regarding IMAP and SSL encryptions. I noted all the incoming mail settings and outgoing settings and ensured the ports were of values 993 and SMTP port 465. Entered manually and still received error codes.

Yes, I can access my emails on line, but its a huge inconvenience as im not always able to get online! My emails, via a email client app, can be accessed and read, even when I am not connected to the internet. Could you advise what is going on please and why does this need to be such a hasstle! Its absurd for this day and age, where mobiles are utilised as mini computers and email clients are used regularly for convenience.....?????

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Email App Client issues. Unable to log on via android app

Go to solution

It happens all the time, password changes don't always get propagated to the mail servers. Stop your app from polling the server, change your password again, wait at least an hour to give the password chance to sync and then try again with the app with the new password.

There is nothing premium about the service, it is just the (mis)name BT give to the stand-alone email product. It is exactly the same as the normal email service for broadband customers

Jencustomer
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Thankyou, I will give it a go
Yep, the so called 'premium service' is what I had to pay for to keep my email, as I no longer subscribe to their other services. Rip off!!

0 Ratings
Jencustomer
Beginner
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Jencustomer
Beginner
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

It would seem that even standard bt mail allows you to utilise email clients like outlook etc. That's on your webpage. The basic does not allow this. I'm on a premium service which allows me to create numerous email  addresses. Apparently there is a difference but BT customer service reps do not know this!!! 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

You can use an email client or an email app on which ever BT email service you have . There is no restriction depending on whether you are a BT Premium email account holder or a BT Broadband email account holder. If Customer Services told you other wise they are very much mistaken and need to be retrained.

The correct settings for the BT email system, regardless of if you are on the BTYahoo system or the BTMail system are as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Jencustomer
Beginner
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution
Hi, the information came from the text outlined within the BT information page, which clearly sets outs the individual accounts and accessibility.
It highlights that the basic email account cannot be accessed via email clients. The standard and premium can. I was quoting as seen and validated on their site. BT staff clearly require training in their own products in addition to tactfulness when dealing with customers.
I have followed the instructions as per the link, which was my first step taken to rectify this issue. Then a call to my provider technicians, whom I gave permission to access my phone, and they could not resolve this issue.
The next step involved a phone call to BT customer services, where I was informed by two representatives, that access through email client was not possible....so why produce details online that clearly state differently???
Today, I am going to try to create another password and wait for a couple of hours before seeing if the migration has taken place and accessibility through an email client will be granted. This was advised by someone from the community, which I have yet to try.
In addition to the above just incase anyone asks which email client I have accessed, I have accessed them all following the set up link - as per instructions - to no avail.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

What do you mean when you say "Basic" email account. There is only one standard of email account. You can have an email account with BT Broadband or you can pay for it with a BT Premium email account but they are both exactly same and have the same functionality. Can you post a link to the BT information page you refer to.

Before you change your password make sure that you turn off any devices that are trying to access the email account. 

After you have changed the password check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour and then add the new password to your device and again check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

Her_Indoors
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

@gg30340

Thank you for the link to the email settings and password reset advice.

It has enabled me to get my BT email address set up in Outlook on my Android phone so I have IMAP access to my emails again at last!

I selected the Advanced set up in Outlook but found the correct server names and ports had already been pre-selected for me so just needed to add my email address and password for both servers.

I can successfully send and receive emails and all seems to be working OK (touch wood!). Thanks again 

Jencustomer
Beginner
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution
For your Information. As you can see, BT highlights that there are different accounts. I have copied and pasted below the information from the link I accessed via my BT login account. (If this perturbs you, then I suggest you contact BT )

PREMIUM which is what I use and pay £7.99 for, in order to keep my current email address and additional options to add alternative email addresses - I migrated over to another internet provider. I have highlighted the 'other TWO' below...BT's words...not mine!

STANDARD and BASIC :
---------------
Menu
All Products
Downgrade your email

Which email account type do you want to change to?

Standard
No adverts when you log in
Use email clients like Outlook and Apple Mail
Access your emails on the BT email app*
*Subject to availability

Basic
No 3rd party adverts when you log in
You won't able to use email clients
You won't be able to access emails on the BT email app*
*Subject to availability

Hope that helps to clarify your question...

As stated before, all settings were correct. I entered them manually. I had already sourced the email set up instructions from the BT web site. That did not work.

As advised by a previous community user, I changed my password and waited for a few hours before logging into the email client app. I have thanked the user for their sound advice as this now works.

All the best
0 Ratings