Good solution! Followed advice for one of my clients and it seems to work. For the benefit of others, here's a screenshot of the settings:
Note that you have to use the entire email address as a user name (elsewhere just the left part is used) or it won't work!
This seems to have solved the failure messages for me:
Menu > Tools > Settings > scroll down left hand column to: Advanced, and then tick the IMAP box.
I haven't changed any other settings since I first started using eM Client with btinternet.com mail.
As above but put your full email address under the General TAb, Imap & smtp, this has worked for me after 3 weeks of getting errors
I've tried all the above suggestions, and although some of them work for a minute or two, the problem still persists. Has anybody found a permanent solution?
I'm convinced that this is a BT problem.
When their servers sync they occasionally corrupt users passwords. If you look on
you'll see a thread, started in 2017, containing 521 posts, regarding this problem..
I'm about to transfer to eM Client, due to increasing problems with WLM. But I won't be surprised if I still get 'wrong password/can't connect problems, as I'll be using the same log in details.
If you try reporting this to BT, their response will be that they only support their 'Webmail' product, and that other clients aren't supported.
The best advice is do nothing and, with a bit of luck, after a few hours it will all start working. The alternative is to change the password, on all your devices. However this may well cause further difficulties, e.g. a complete lock out.
As per my previous post on this issue, I've spoken to BT on this and don't really get any where. But I registered a complaint and was told someone would contact me within 48 hours. No one did.
But at least I am now receiving emails although I get error messages (which I've now turned off).
I would agree that the thing to do is nothing and hope BT sort it out. They will never own up to a problem, best you can do is keep complaining and hopefully they'll take notice.
I have been a BT customer for decades here in the UK and have used eM Client Pro on both my laptop and desktop since 2016 to download my btinternet.com messages without a problem.
On 31st July Bt launched a new email format WebMail and the same day both my PCs started to give me Error messages stating that eM Client could not open the BT inbox due to an un-recognised extra arguement to SELECT command.
BT were of no help whatsoever when I finally was able to speak to an Adviser so I deleted my BT email from the desktop and installed an Outlook.com address to which I forwarded the BT emails in my web mail box, so that I could action these on my desktop.
This problem continued until Thurs evening 8th when suddenly my laptop was able to connect to BT's servers and download all the emails in my webmail inbox.
An old friend who is an IT consultant and has decades or writing computer programmes analysed the diagnostic logs from my desktop and reached the conclusion the when launching their new WebMail format on 31st, they failed to follow the Internationally agreed Protocols on "electronic handshakes " needed between PC's and servers to establish the connection.
I assume that after receiving thousands of complaints BT queitly slipped in a "fix" on Thursday and can confirm that since then both my laptop and desktop havge been connecteing to BT's servers and downloading my emails without any Error messages and still use the same IMAP and SMTP settings as I used in 2016 when I installed eM Client.
To me this proves that BT were the perpretrators of the problem by failing to fully test their new system and have just slipped in a tweak to fix this, as nothing has changes in my eM Client settings since before 31st.
BT launched its new Webmail without any prior notice by email or other media and has treated its customers compliants with total disdain. The phonecall from a BT email technician I was promised for between 2pm and 4pm on Fri 9th never came , probably because BT knew that they had fixed the problem by then. Nevertheless I will be chjanging my Broadband and land line supply contracts to one of their competitors as soon as these come up for renewal.
Believe me there has been an ongoing problem for many BT customers, for a lot longer than the 8 day period you quote.
To reiterate my previous post, the problem of not being able to connect has been well documented on a number of BT Forums. What is revealing is that at no time to the BT Moderators get involved. I leave it to you to figure out why this might be.