Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rainsberger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Email Errors

Go to solution

Hello Guys

What is going on with BT Mail for years now i have had my BT Mail sent to Outlook Express on my Windows XP desktop without any problems at all, but now all i get is the following error.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: '**********', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F.

So what's this all about i see on the forum that i am not the only one with BT Mail problems, has anyone a solution to this problem as it's becoming very annoying after all these years of trouble free receiving my emails via Outlook Express, i have not changed any previous settings at all.

Thanks

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: Email Errors

Go to solution

@Rainsbergerwrote:

Hello Guys

What is going on with BT Mail for years now i have had my BT Mail sent to Outlook Express on my Windows XP desktop without any problems at all, but now all i get is the following error.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: '**********', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F.

So what's this all about i see on the forum that i am not the only one with BT Mail problems, has anyone a solution to this problem as it's becoming very annoying after all these years of trouble free receiving my emails via Outlook Express, i have not changed any previous settings at all.

Thanks

Hi.

When did this issue start for you? Can you access your email via webmail :-

www.bt.com/mail

if so, when logged in do you see a Yahoo image top left (That's for BTYahoo, otherwise it's BTMail).

Of course, OE has long since been depricated as has XP! ....

0 Ratings
Rainsberger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Hello Andy

Thanks for your reply, this started about 3 weeks ago sometimes it worked OK, other times same error as posted has become very intermitted now most morning's will not work, as for Windows XP yes no support now but my desktop is working great using XP and good security so no reason to ditch using it, as i said i have not changed any setting's in the email program but what has BT done that i cannot receive my emails like i have done in the previous years.

0 Ratings
Rainsberger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Forgot to mention i can still receive my emails via my BT Mail Account web page.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Don't do anything, it will fix itself, happens all the time.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Great advice, don't do anything it will fix itself is in my view not good enough surely someone in BT or Yahoo or whoever owns the email should be making sure this service is up to scratch. If they can't do that then let us all know and we can drift of to other services.

Before you say other services are no better as I am sure they are not but perhaps the view that doing nothing is fine is the reason they are all sh*te - assuming they are of course. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @Rainsberger,

It's good to see you back on the Community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry you're having problems with your BT email on Outlook Express on  XP.

It sounds like your running a really old set up and support for XP ended some time ago. My colleagues in the email team would like to take a look at this and have asked if you could send in your details to help with the investigation.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact me. You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

Don't do anything, it will fix itself, happens all the time.

3 weeks in this case does seem a bit extreme though I reckon.

Clearly it's not XP or OE, but maybe a possible case of interference from something.

@Rainsbergeryou had a problem (maybe similar) 5 years ago when you posted - do you recall what cleared the issue then? What anti-virus or other security package are you using, and has this recently updated? If so, maybe the settings of than need checking in case it's doing some blocking (even due to OE being used!).

Are you still with BTbroadband?

0 Ratings
CW3
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Regrettably I can't offer a solution, but I can confirm that my experience was identical to yours.   Initially access via Outlook Express and Windows XP returned the same error intermittently, but as of Tuesday this became persitent, meaning that acess to mail stopped for good.   through MS Outlook on a Windows 7 PC and through and iPhone continued to work fine.

It's as though BT Yahoo have been applying a patch which prohibits Outlook Express server by server, meaning that the problem has got progressively worse as more servers have been "upgraded".

GMail does not have this problem.   If BT have indeed decided to discontinue support for Windows XP/Outlook Express that will be an issue.  Even though the number of users in this category is below a few percent those people will have few easy alternatives open to them.

0 Ratings
Rainsberger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Guys

This morning my problem with not receiving my BT Mail with my Qutlook Express Client has be solved and today i received the days emails as usual again on my Windows XP desktop, although i have been told that this could only be temporary because BT have tweeked there servers so that i can receive my emails from BT, as i expected it was a problem with BT servers and security in the first place and of course i am using an outdated operating system, should it happen again i will finish using Outlook Express and just use my Email accounts web pages. Would like to thank the guy on BT for all his help in getting my emails back again all be it temporary many thanks. This topic can now be marked as Solved.

0 Ratings