Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Levidog
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Email Hacked and all new emails going to Trash folder

Good Morning everyone,

Last week my emails were hacked and used to send a begging letter to all my contacts. I have since changed all my passwords and contacted the police.

I continue to get all my new emails sent directly to my trash folder and I just can't find a way to change this. 

I use BT Mail via the BT website. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Email Hacked and all new emails going to Trash folder

@Levidogwrote:

Good Morning everyone,

Last week my emails were hacked and used to send a begging letter to all my contacts. I have since changed all my passwords and contacted the police.

I continue to get all my new emails sent directly to my trash folder and I just can't find a way to change this. 

I use BT Mail via the BT website. 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

When you login via webmail (direct link https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform ), does it show a Yahoo image - if not you're with BTMail. BTMail is used as a term to effectively mean all btinternet email, but there are two types, BTYahoo and BTMail.

BTMail has allows for auto-forwarding, so if that's your email type, within the settings there is an option for auto-forwarding to another email address. Make sure that this has been removed. You need to also make sure that your security answers are altered, otherwise the hacker could reset the password knowing this information.

If you login to webmail using the direct link, do you get in via the new password?

Are you certain that the email account has been hacked? There was a massive leak a few years ago, and it's possible hackers have delayed their campaign until know to cause problems.

Changing password normally suffices to counteract email hacks - though only if your computer is malware/virus free, or you don't use typical "family" or easy to guess passwords. Social engineering is still used to guess passwords. Make sure you have a mixture of upper/lower case, numbers and also punctuation.

Received emails should not go into the trash unless they are read, though there have been strange cases where it appears to have happened.

As you imply you only use webmail access, I thoroughly recommend you setup a backup system and use an email client programme such as Thunderbird, Claws mail or something else (free). That way if your account is hacked and the emails deleted, you will have backups. Many people in this forum have reported losing all their emails through not having a backup routine.

0 Ratings
Levidog
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Email Hacked and all new emails going to Trash folder

Wow thank you Andy, that's a lot of interesting information. I didn't know about the leak but it would make sense as the address book that was used contained no-one new within the last three to four years.

My webmail shows the BTMail on the top right so I'm guessing that it's that one. Yes I changed my password then used it to get into the mail page then changed it again. I will now change the security answers though as I hadn't thought of that. I also checked my pc for malware and viruses.

I do use Outlook as a back up system at home, but I didn't want to say that as it seemed to confuse the chap that I spoke to on the helpline. I use webmail a lot when I'm away on business.

Having all new emails go into my trash box happened at precisely the same time as the spam emails were sent out, presumably so I couldn't see the replies. Is there any way I can change it back?

I'm now going to check  my auto forwarding though their email included a link to a similar AOL email address as mine.

Thank you once again

0 Ratings