cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NHHouston
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Email Migration - Outlook

I appear to have functional email in the web browser version which I detest as a way of working. My Outlook will send from the app but not receive in main email address but will receive on one of the three. The connection information BT has posted causes failed connection processes.

BT Sort it out. I pay a lot for this and this is shambolic. I am trying to follow the instructions you have provided and they do not work. This is not a community matter - this is BTs to fix.

Why would I stay a customer?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
NHHouston
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

And the update connections instructions for Outlook accounts do not work. This is shambolic from BT

0 Ratings
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

I managed to get mines working through outlook, but you have to be very precise in entering the settings manually as it was not very clear to the average user like me.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Re: Email Migration - Outlook

The settings provided DO work and have always done so. It is only clients that were misconfigured with Yahoo settings that needed any change in any case.

Are you setting up the account manually and what settings are you actually using.

0 Ratings
NHHouston
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Mine was set up about a month ago after other grief with Microsoft Outlook - complete Office restore and the settings have never been driven by Yahoo. The instructions from BT at "What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT email servers" are what I am trying to use but they are incomplete against what MS Outlook invites the user to specify manually. If BT would provide the full information inc Ports both Inc and Out it might work. I am coming to the conclusion I will have to uninstall Outlook and reinstall it clean then set it up manually but without complete information from BT I am not going to start this process.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

I have no idea where you have been looking, but the complete information is supplied in numerous places including

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
NHHouston
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Thanks Licquorice. That is indeed the page I have been using - Outlook does not appear to enable selection of IMAP one way and SMTP the other so keeps falling over unable to complete it. I detect a desire to force us into the dumb web browser email approach from both BT making use of client apps challenging and Microsoft whose latest on O365 has forced me to a full machine restore to a clean Windows 10 1909. Both are insulting the users' intelligence and between them making life on tech a lot harder than it should be. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

IMAP is for incoming service and SMTP is outgoing, any  prevention of making those settings is absolutely nothing to do with BT. Incoming service only has a choice of IMAP or POP3 and Outgoing is always SMTP so don't understand why you can't select them.

I have no idea about O365, but all other versions of Outlook  can be configured as required.

0 Ratings
NHHouston
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I would agree but I think it not unreasonable to expect BT to provide clear information compatible with the current Outlook client it being the Mail element of the recognised Windows 10 Office environment. I cannot use the information provided by BT in the dialogue arrangements in Outlook under manual settings or automatic and get a working outcome. I get an IMAP dialogue box both inwards and outwards for Outlook and no clear option to select SMTP though I do now have the accounts showing as IMAP/SMTP (but not working). My Outlook is now in chaos and I have ensured all the history and .ost is safe on another machine and am going to gut Outlook and start again with a completely clean sheet of paper.  Fortunately I work only 3 days a week and this is not one of them so I am wasting my own time here but I would much rather be reading a good book than piecing together the consequences of two tech organisations both trying to deter me from the way I prefer to use email. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

BT have provided clear settings, it is not their fault if Outlook won't accept them. I suspect Outlook doesn't provide an option for outgoing and just sets SMTP.  There should be  a box to tick somewhere in the outgoing server details that the server requires authentication, make sure it is ticked.

BT do not 'support' mail clients, they just provide the details that the server requires. There are far too many different clients to provide detailed instructions on how to configure every one.

0 Ratings