cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Email Password changes but not me...

My BTinternet password has changed but it wasnt me....

I have tried to log into the account but it was asking me for a passcode that is sent to my BT internet.com email address.

It stated i had attempted to many times today as soon as i clicked on signin a different way.

How do i regain control of my account?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Email Password changes but not me...

Call customer services 0330 1234 150

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Email Password changes but not me...

Yes- ring 'em as I have just done.  You might have to wait to get through but ringing is a lot better than their tediously slow (but in my case, ultimately effective) online chat.  My problem, which wasted hours yesterday and today, was that BT closed my email account down on security grounds!  Nothing in or out!  An email, which of course I couldn't access til now, saying;
"It looks like someone tried to access your ***** email account without your permission. But don't worry, we've locked your account to protect it. That means, for now, you won't be able to access it and you might see error messages or password failures when you try to get your emails..."

Not having seen this warning, I struggled with several failed attempts at a password reset so I needed help (which meant a couple of hours on the web chatline yesterday to a very helpful BT agent in Kolkota, India). Eventually sorted, but when I did the same reset for my wife's secondary account I not only struggled, but discovered she had a false or inaccurate set of Recovery contacts; an email address in a name similar to but different from hers, and a mobile number we'd never heard of. 

So back on to the helpdesk (this time by phone to the number above; a very helpful agent in Warrington, UK) - another couple of hours of my life which I won't get back.  But the weirdest thing was that now I knew these two aberrant Recovery contacts, and given that I assumed they were fraudsters , I rang 'em (on a completely different line) to give 'em a piece of my mind... To discover I was speaking to a completely innocent old lady who happened to share my wife's unusual surname and the same intitial letter of her forename.  Thus, a vauguely similar email address!  So not a fraudulent hackster at all?  Somehow, BT themselves must have conflated the two accounts; although you'd think that impossible?  Anyway, all sorted now... I hope!

0 Ratings