Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: Email Password not recognised

I think I know the answer to this.  BT email seems to keep 3 copies of your password:

one on the  server where you log in via the web

one on the (IMAP) server used by your phone

one on the (POP) server used by email programs like Microsoft Outlook

I have found that from time to time the copies of the password on the POP and maybe also the IMAP server seem to get corrupted, and the correct password is not recognised.  On Outlook, a box pops up asking you to enter the email password.  If so, exit the application immediately so that your account is not locked because of too many invalid password attempts.  Then, if you can, log in via the web and change your password.  Wait a couple of hours for the new password to be copied to the IMAP and POP servers.  Change the passwords on your phone and Outlook, and see if that works.  Both your phone and Outlook might need a bit of a prod to get working again, like deleting emails they still say they can't send, and pressing send/receive.   Then after a few months it happens all over again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 14

@cnelmswrote:

I think I know the answer to this.  BT email seems to keep 3 copies of your password:

one on the  server where you log in via the web

one on the (IMAP) server used by your phone

one on the (POP) server used by email programs like Microsoft Outlook

I have found that from time to time the copies of the password on the POP and maybe also the IMAP server seem to get corrupted, and the correct password is not recognised.  On Outlook, a box pops up asking you to enter the email password.  If so, exit the application immediately so that your account is not locked because of too many invalid password attempts.  Then, if you can, log in via the web and change your password.  Wait a couple of hours for the new password to be copied to the IMAP and POP servers.  Change the passwords on your phone and Outlook, and see if that works.  Both your phone and Outlook might need a bit of a prod to get working again, like deleting emails they still say they can't send, and pressing send/receive.   Then after a few months it happens all over again.

If I may ...

POP and IMAP access the same thing, just using different protocols. In your example, both phone and Outlook can use either. They are not different servers with different passwords.

Webmail is again a different interface to the exact same servers.

What there is, is a server farm of load balancing systems - each capable of accessing the user database of which there perhaps may be more than one copy and should be in sync. There is a possibility of a subset of the farm/cluster that is performing badly and the user unable to access their emails. Why webmail access works implies a protocol failure for the user's access at that time.

I don't believe there is a corruption happening, just access failures using the various protocols. What tends to happen is that webmail can work, whereas app/client access fails - that means both pop and imap. There are pretty rare cases of people being able to use pop and not imap and visa versa.

The recommended method by forum posters is to actually do nothing, no settings changes, no delete/re-add accounts or apps/clients, and no password changes. This has shown time after time to be the best option.

The idea is to wait a few hours to a few days, only after then should a password change be done - but all devices stopped from auto-polling, and nothing else done for at least 15 minutes. Then one device at a time should be checked to see if access is restored.

0 Ratings
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 14

Thank you, Andy_N.  I'll try that next time.  I did get locked out on a previous occasion, probably because I should have stopped Outlook trying to send/receive for a while as you recommend.  Sadly BT support were not much help, giving the impression they neither knew nor cared, and tried to convince me that this was a Microsoft Outlook problem and nothing to do with BT.  End of rant.

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 14

I agree with all that, changing passwords can lead to all sorts of confusion on other devices.

It always seems to eventually fix itself, usually after a few hours but I have lost POP access for up to two days at a time.

Logging into the Yahoo portal was the only thing I found that seemed to help sometimes (but not always).

I have the Yahoo login page bookmarked. If that page automatically forwards to the BT page then POP won't be working.  Once I can access the Yahoo page it usually clears itself but I've never worked out if logging into Yahoo fixes anything, or is just an indication that POP is now working again.

Seems different today though, I logged into Yahoo but still can't access POP.

0 Ratings