cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Email Problems

Go to solution

Something has recently changed with my BT Email service because until 3 days ago I was able to send and receive Emails normally via BT Email - When I checked my account I was notified by BT that I had to change my Email password which I did and so I then had to change the Email password in my Email program (Thunderbird).  Receiving Emails via BT Email then works fine but I find that I am unable to send Emails as my program now seems unable to access the  SMTP mail server.

HELP ME PLEASE!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email Problems

Go to solution

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium email account?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

I am a BT Anytime customer with Broadband access via  a HUB2 with wire connection to the nearest DSLAM

Does this help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@alphafour wrote:

I am a BT Anytime customer with Broadband access via  a HUB2 with wire connection to the nearest DSLAM

Does this help?

Yes it helps. If you were not a BT Broadband customer, your email account would have been downgraded  to the BT Basic email service which can only be accessed/used via webmail on a web browser and can not be used on an email client/app.

As you are a BT Broadband customer that should not apply.

In order to try and establish where the problem may lie can you clarify if the email account was set up on the present BT Broadband account and not on a previous broadband account such as a parent's or one that you may have had then left BT for another provider and subsequently returned to BT but continued using the original email account.

Can you log onto your MyBT and go to your "My Products" then "Mail, manage" and ensure that the email account is showing there and that it is "Active" and that the type of account is showing as "Standard".

Have you checked that you have the correct email settings in your email client Thunderbird, as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

My Email Account is showing active, there aren't any account type options given to select (standard or otherwise), my BT email address is selected as favourite, all Thunderbird settings are as suggested in the link quoted but there are ZERO Email improvements , i.e. I can receive mail OK via my BT Email mailbox but cannot send mails via BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

When you go to the Manage email page in your MyBT can you confirm that the line below the page title "Manage Your Email" does not show "Account Type" and can you also confirm that when you log onto your BT email account via webmail on a browser that you can only receive email and that you are unable to send emails?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I can confirm that the line below the page title "Manage Your Email" does not show "Account Type"

When I log on to my BT Email account using a browser (Google) I can both send and receive Emails via BT

- work that one out!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@alphafour wrote:

When I log on to my BT Email account using a browser (Google) I can both send and receive Emails via BT

- work that one out!

You will be using a different server.

As the problem only occurred after you changed your password, the first thing is to check you changed both the outgoing (SMTP) password as well as the incoming (IMAP or POP3) password.

Failing that, close Thunderbird, change your email password again in webmail, wait at least an hour in order to give the servers chance to sync and then try again with the new password on Thunderbird.

Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Problem is now solved - my SMTP password wasn't automatically updated in Thunderbird when as requested by BT,  I had to change my mail password.

Having now made both passwords match, all is well [for future reference and possible help for others with a similar problem,  use the Thunderbird TOOLS facility, chose Options,  Security  and select SHOW PASSWORDS).  At this stage all your mail accounts (POP, IMAP, SMTP et al)  will be shown plus their passwords - to change a password double-click to select it,  at which point it can be changed as necessary via your keyboard - CLOSE Security, return to Thunderbird and retest.

This was the  statement that clinched it ' As the problem only occurred after you changed your password, the first thing is to check you changed both the outgoing (SMTP) password as well as the incoming (IMAP or POP3) password'

Very many thanks for your help - PROBLEM SOLVED!

0 Ratings