cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spockvideo
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Email SMTP problems with Mac

Have been using email for years and never had any problems changing isp and routers until I have come to BT and the home hub 3.

Connected to the home hub are a PC and a PC laptop and an iphone all work fine and emails can be received and sent.

But the Macbook Pro running OS X 10.7.5 and using the apple mail facility can only receive emails from my hotmail accounts but not send them when connected wirelessly to the home hub.

Strangely if I connect the same computer to a BT hotspot them emails can be received and sent without problem.

When I compose an email and try to send it the emails stays in the sent box for a long time and then eventually an error message appears saying "Cannot send message using the server hotmail: connection to the server "smtp.live.com" on the default ports timed out. Select a different out going mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent. [the list below comprises my two hotmail accounts both of which use smtp.live.com but access it with different passwords - neither works]

Before I realised the hotspot worked (and during the period I was checking all the SMTP password etc) I reloaded one of the hotmail email accounts from scratch. This worked for a short period - then it developed the same fault of receiving but not sending emails.

I have tried disabling the firewall from the home hub, but that made no difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Email SMTP problems with Mac

Hi spockvideo,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. One of our forum gurus Andy_N has a really helpful site that might be able to help you. Take a look here and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
spockvideo
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Hi David

Thanks for taking an interest. I have looked at the site you mention, however unfortunately a number of the links on the site are now broken and those I did follow whilst initially seeming encouraging did not solve the problem.

It does seem strange that sending emails via a hotspot works fine but yet through my own home hub3 is impossible, from my Macbookpro, although I can send emails via a static PC, PClaptop and iphone.

0 Ratings
Aratark
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Spock,

Did you notice the issue co-inciding with the use of the hub 3?  If you did it may be an issue with the hostname of the mac.  If you go to the system preferences on the apple menu, select network, and then go to the advanced settings for your wireless connection, add a new dns setting such as google's (8.8.8.8)

Refresh the dhcp license, then see if you can send.  If you can the issue is with the hostname of the mac.  This can be changed pretty easily, and I can provide further instructions for that if needed.

The issue is the way the mac presents it's name to the router that can cause issues with certain mail providers.

0 Ratings
spockvideo
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Aratark

Yes it works with 8.8.8.8.! You said you can help with changing the host name?

Thanks

Spock

0 Ratings
Aratark
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Glad to see it works.  Here are the instructions I offered.

Open Terminal
Type "scutil --set HostName PetesMac" (PetesMac can be changed to your name, but avoid punctuation)
Goto apple menu, select system preferences
Select sharing.  Edit host name at top of screen to same as username entered on terminal.

Save, Go back to system preferences, network.  Create new location.

Refresh connection.

If you need any further assistsance, just let me know.

A

0 Ratings
spockvideo
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Hi Aratark

Sorry I am a complete novice with a Mac.

You have probably used some shorthand in your instructions, but I need you to spell it out for me - sorry.

I found terminal (never used it before) typed in what you said - Do I then need to press return or something?

Selected sharing and changed username

Selected network - but there does not seem to be an option to Create new location

Guess I have missed something please would you explain a bit more

Spock

0 Ratings
Aratark
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Spock,

You were correct, you need to hit enter when entering the command on terminal. I take it you didn't enter the speech marks, as they are just to show where the command ends.

On the system preference, network  at the top of the page, it shows location, click on there to bring up the list, at the bottom is is a +/-.  Click on + and it allows you to create a new location.  Call it home for example, then select it.

Let me know if you need it breaking down anymore Smiley Happy

A

0 Ratings
spockvideo
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Hi

Regretably it does not seem to have worked. I did put spaces in the terminal instruction line as you did but not within the actual name.

The DNS has reverted to a sequence of numbers and the search domain is shown as home.

Is there a way to check the terminal instruction has been accepted correctly/

John

0 Ratings
spockvideo
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Here is a bit more information which might help to tie it down. Within network/WINS it shows the Net Bios Name as the name I gave it in the terminal instruction. It has 15 letters I take it that is not a problem (I recall you said it was the way it was described to the hub which was the problem). Within network/DNS the DNS server has the same sequence of numbers as theRouter IP address shown in network/TCP/IP. Within network/DNS the search domain is shown as home that is not the name I gave in the network first window where I added my home town when I changed it from automatic.

Hope this helps

Spock

0 Ratings