cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott40
Message 1 of 9

Email Trouble

Hi 

lve had a @btinternet.com  email for over 10 years which I got when my parents signed up to BT many years ago. I have access to my emails on my mobile however I cannot remember the password to log into it on any other devices and I also do not know the security questions. 
Is there a way to reset my password without knowing these answer? 
I can verify it’s me requesting it as I have access on my mobile.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email Trouble

Check your phone's settings. There may be an option to view the password instead of just the ****.

If you have logged on via  browser and clicked on the "store password" option the password will be in the browser's settings and can usually be viewed by going into the relevant settings.

If the email account is a sub account of your parents (master account) you will need to use the security questions for the master account. 

If that doesn't work the master account holder will need to call BT and get them to reset it. It may be that BT will send out a code to the master account holders address in order to reset the password.

0 Ratings
Scott40
Message 3 of 9

Hi 
Thanks for this.

I’ve looked through the settings and my phone doesn’t allow me to view the password and I haven’t got it saved on a desk too.

My parents are no longer BT customers and have not used their BT email addresses for many years so I would guess that they have been deleted.

Is there no way to get the code sent to my emails without having my parents to call up. They live the other side of the country and I doubt they can remember the security answers. 
Thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email address via BT Premium email?

It is unlikely that BT will give you assistance if you are not a BT customer.

If your parents are no longer BT customers if you are not paying for BT Premium email or have your own BT Broadband account that the email is associated to,  you are lucky that the email account has not been deleted.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44499/~/why-has-my-email-address-been-suspended-or-de...

0 Ratings
Scott40
Message 5 of 9

Nope I have never paid for my email address and neither have my parents and neither of us are BT customers any longer.

Looks like I’m stuck with my current phone then if I want to keep my emails.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

You could try calling BT 0800.800.150 and explaining your predicament to see if they can help but as I said, don't be surprised if the say no.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

if you and your parents are no longer BT broadband customers then you should seriously consider using another email address  eg gmail  as BT are culling email addresses where there is no associated bt account. once deleted there is no way back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Scott40
Message 8 of 9

Yeah I appreciate that, easier said than done when you’ve used the same email for so long and everything is linked to it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@Scott40wrote:

Yeah I appreciate that, easier said than done when you’ve used the same email for so long and everything is linked to it.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Frankly you should get that Gmail account and start telling everyone your new address, tell all websites you login to your new address etc, etc.

As has been said, if the account is not associated with a BTBroadband account or BT Premium Email, it can be deleted at any time. BT seem to do a cull every few weeks or so for these sorts of accounts, as posters drop into this forum saying that their accounts don't work - and this is often the reason.

So, make sure you have a backup of all your contacts, all important information - including sent emails. Please don't delay.

You can ask for the account to be set up as BT Premium, but that's £7.50 per month - however it's a month's contract and might be worth doing for 3 months or so whilst you try to get everything changed.

0 Ratings