cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Email account always having to be reset

My bt email is constantly flagging there is an error.
I have it linked via outlook on pc and on an iPhone through the mail app and use the bt webmail at times.
It start 5 days when my email on my phone showed btinternt account error. So I checked password it was ok. Then also notice pc email wasn’t working. After resetting pwd it start for only minutes then I received texts from BT saying account blocked then a text saying now secure. This repeated a few times. Bt chat looked into it and reset it their end and it worked for minutes again. Tired webmail and this didn’t work either, left it 24 hrs as requested and Bt phoned back and said it is now working, I was able to receive on the phone but as I was away from home I couldn’t try pc or webmail.
I performed a full Anti-Virus scan on my pc when I got home and nothing was found. This all worked Sunday and Monday morning but later that day it stopped again I cannot download emails on IPhone and it doesn’t work using webmail on my laptop . Tried to reset pwd again but this time it didn’t recognise my security answer so now locked out completely. Is this a know fault ? I have had this Bt account for +10years and never had it behave like this. There is a sub-account that is working fine.
I have replied to the message the Bt chat lady send me to reply to if I have the problem again but I can’t go on like this.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Email account always having to be reset

Email servers have a habit of playing up at times. There's nowt you can do. Just wait for them to recover & don't change any of your settings cuz there's nowt wrong with them.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Ok understand the servers can play up but now completely locked out. A bit concerned that my security question wasn’t excepted to reset it. Now have to wait to speak to the BT customer service.
The sub account is working fine.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

My email account has been blocked several times in last two weeks. Each time I get text messages saying it has been blocked, suspected compromised. I use chrome browser to reset password and all is OK for a few hours then text messages start again. I have thunderbird using POP3 on my PC, my partner has a sub account and uses POP3 on a MAC. We both ocasionally use android phones to read email. It's een fine for years. Several weeks ago I received many emails, delivery status notifications, looks like someone was using my email address to spoof messages and they sent to non exisitant addresses to I got the resulting delivery status msg. Could be unrelated.

What is wrong with BT email?  It's a pain to keep reseting the passwords, on PC, MAC, phones and laptops.

Come on BT pull your socks up!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Yes that is what I had last week texts saying it blocked.
And undelivered mail notifications. I am using pop3 on pc with outlook and have linked to the IPhone.
My sub account is my partners and setup the same way we share the home pc.
She uses the iPad and her iPhone more but not having this problem luckily.
I use webmail on my works laptop as I am away a lot in the week and doesn’t help I am trying to find a new job and not getting or answering email is helping.
I cannot even reset it now.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

@Foldy wrote:
Yes that is what I had last week texts saying it blocked.
And undelivered mail notifications. I am using pop3 on pc with outlook and have linked to the IPhone.
My sub account is my partners and setup the same way we share the home pc.
She uses the iPad and her iPhone more but not having this problem luckily.
I use webmail on my works laptop as I am away a lot in the week and doesn’t help I am trying to find a new job and not getting or answering email is helping.
I cannot even reset it now.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Your fault (and the other in this thread) sounds like a system fault, whereby a spoofed email address is being treated as a compromised account.

There is nothing the user casn do about spoofed email address, but the system team CAN do something about the appaling system that treats it otherwise.

There should never be any reason to change password in this case as it's nothing you have done.

What probably happens is that the user alters password due to the system telling them to do so, but sporadic bounce and non-delivery notices keep appearing due to the way email is not instantaneous. So the system again thinks the user account is compromised and flags it again requesting the user does something. What may happen is the account then may become locked due to appalling system management.

This is a fault the mail team need to fix as a generic issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Well BT have reset it again and told me this time the way I have been unlocking my account was wrong. Even thou last week I was talked and email via chat through the very process. I was told that it is only the email that needs unlocking and not by MyBt login ? Which appears strange as the webmail goes back to MyBt login when trying to reset it. Also told my hub needs rebooting before changing passwords?
Cannot understand why that affects my laptop on btmail website and iPhone when away from home?
Anyway up and working currently so will see what happens.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

@Foldy wrote:
Well BT have reset it again and told me this time the way I have been unlocking my account was wrong. Even thou last week I was talked and email via chat through the very process. I was told that it is only the email that needs unlocking and not by MyBt login ? Which appears strange as the webmail goes back to MyBt login when trying to reset it. Also told my hub needs rebooting before changing passwords?
Cannot understand why that affects my laptop on btmail website and iPhone when away from home?
Anyway up and working currently so will see what happens.

There is a problem that some people have reported in synch between BTID login and associated email, and password changes not being done on one of them. They are different entities.

The password change for BTYahoo is :-

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso

not sure if there's a similar direct link for BTMail.

As for hub needing rebooting, that's clearly not true.

Note that any primary account password change will also need to be done in BTFon access and BTSmartTalk if used.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Today my account was blocked again. I have had to logon using a browser and answer my security question and change the password. I didn't get text messages this time. Then I have to change the password in thunderbird on my PC and on my laptop and on my wife's Mac and on both our phones. This is very iconvenient and appears to be happening every day!

Come on BT there is nothing wrong with my email, it has not been compromised, please stop blocking it!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

That’s not good. Currently I am still ok.
I have sent an email complaining about the problem but not sure if it will come to anything.
0 Ratings