Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WylieMcKinty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Email account seems to have been hacked

I have been receiving phone calls and twitter messages all afternoon from concerned friends as it seems my BTinternet.com email account has been sending out "Help Me, I'm in trouble" type of emails to them without any knowledge on my part. It all seems to have started around 1.45pm UK time. I have since changed the password and hopefully have contained the problem.

It seems that all emails sent to me after 18th December 2013 have been deleted from the server and no sent emails remain at all. I've also noticed that my Contacts list from the webmail page have also been deleted.

Luckily I should be able to retrieve any "lost" emails either my home POP account or Gmail (as all my BT emails are forwarded on to there so that I have copies somewhere). Is this the only way I am going to be able to get my lost emails back?

Has anyone else suffered this fate recently? Has anyone any idea how this "hijacking" is done/carried out.

All I can say that I am pretty street wize when it comes to clicking on dodgy email links, website links, etc but if it can happen to me then it can happen to anyone.

Wylie McKinty

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Email account seems to have been hacked

Well, the most likely thing is that someone got into your account by stealing or guessing your password. Likelihood of that is increased if you use the same password elsewhere.

What has happened is that your list of contacts has been accessed and fed into a botnet somewhere, where these hoax emails are being sent from, with your email "spoofed" as the sender. 

It's good that you've changed your password, and even better if you've made it a strong unique one, but in all probability the abuse of your contact list will continue in the future. 

PS - worth reading on the subject of setting passwords, useful links within it:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/01/24/are-our-passwords-really-that-bad-and-does-it-really-matt...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

If you have had your email account hacked, follow this guide

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/

It may be that your account was hacked a while ago and all your contacts details were harvested then and the spammer is now spoofing your email address to send the emails to your contacts.

There is nothing you can do about this now as the contacts list will be already in the spammers hands, but I would remove all your contacts from your BT email account and just keep them on your email clients on your computer. This will stop any future hackers getting them. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@WylieMcKinty wrote:

I have been receiving phone calls and twitter messages all afternoon from concerned friends as it seems my BTinternet.com email account has been sending out "Help Me, I'm in trouble" type of emails to them without any knowledge on my part. It all seems to have started around 1.45pm UK time. I have since changed the password and hopefully have contained the problem.

It seems that all emails sent to me after 18th December 2013 have been deleted from the server and no sent emails remain at all. I've also noticed that my Contacts list from the webmail page have also been deleted.

Luckily I should be able to retrieve any "lost" emails either my home POP account or Gmail (as all my BT emails are forwarded on to there so that I have copies somewhere). Is this the only way I am going to be able to get my lost emails back?

Has anyone else suffered this fate recently? Has anyone any idea how this "hijacking" is done/carried out.

All I can say that I am pretty street wize when it comes to clicking on dodgy email links, website links, etc but if it can happen to me then it can happen to anyone.

Wylie McKinty

Hi.

This sounds like your account has indeed been hacked, with the password gained by one means or other (e.g. social media - letting slip something, perhaps responding to a phish email).

As well as changing your password, login to webmail and make sure that there is no forwarding email setup (check Mail Options/Pop & Forwarding) - since with the type you explain, the hacker typically sets up this option so that all replies actuallyy go to the criminal.

0 Ratings