cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nanderson08
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Email account suspended for suspicious activity. Cant access email or MyBT

On thursday my email account which I have had for 10 years got suspended for suspicious activity. No matter how I try to recover the account it cannot be accessed. I have been on the phone to BT support and they were supposed to get email experts to ring me on friday but they never did. I don't care as much about the emails as I can always create another but we have recently set up MyBT for a new BT broadband package due to start next week and I cannot access this either. So there will be no way to see bills etc. I think the email was set up as an affiliate to a primary email account which no longer exists and this is where the problem is

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Email account suspended for suspicious activity. Cant access email or MyBT

Hi @Naderson08, welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to see you're having problems accessing your email, have you tried resetting your password by following the forgotten password process on this link?

0 Ratings
Nanderson08
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Yes but no matter what answer I put in the security question part its wrong. Online support managed to get my password changed but it still kept me locked out of the account by saying its suspended

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

@Nanderson08 thanks for getting back to me. I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can send over your details and we'll be happy to chase this up for you.

0 Ratings
dweller02
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

I've just had exactly the same problem - suddenly couldn't access an email address I've used for over 10 years.  Called the helpline and was told the account had been deleted due to accusations of spamming.  I escalated it via the complaints system and got the following response:

*Edit*

I wasn't spamming - maybe the account was hacked or something?  Anyway, I'm quite annoyed that they can't or won't do anything about it, and that my emails and contacts have effectively been stolen by BT.  

When a bank account has suspicious activity they will call you and check, pity a communications company can't manage that.

Now I'm reduced to contacting every online service I've registered with using that email address and trying to convince them that it's really me so I can get the email changed.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Hi @dweller02 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry that you have lost access to your email account. 
Is the email address linked to your BT Broadband account or is it a Premium Mail account?

Are you sure it has been deleted and the account has not been "compromised". Check out this for Compromised email accounts and the section on how to recover the account.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@dweller02wrote:

I've just had exactly the same problem - suddenly couldn't access an email address I've used for over 10 years.  Called the helpline and was told the account had been deleted due to accusations of spamming.  I escalated it via the complaints system and got the following response:

Hopefully the moderators will be able to help here.  The question whether the account is associated with a BTBroadband account or BT Premium Mail is relevant, because if it is not - the account can be deleted at any time.

With regard the helpline comment, I personally wouldn't accept their views - any email address could be used as the "From" address in a spam run. The account has not been hacked, and you have not been spamming. Unless the helpdesk can prove the account has actually been hacked in the way they say, then they are simply guessing.

You don't need to contact the online services in the way you say, you just need to login to the sites and alter the contact email address.

0 Ratings
dweller02
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for responding, it's linked to my broadband account.

The email address is still showing up as an active email address in mybt, but when I try to log into it I'm directed to the Yahoo login which just says they don't recognise it.  I'm not getting the compromised lockdown message.

0 Ratings
dweller02
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Thanks - I've been logging in and changing a many as I can, but Steam has just done an update - requiring me to verify my account using a security code sent to my email address!

Have contacted Steam Support for help, no joy so far

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Hi @dweller02 thanks for checking that and posting back. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to help you with this.

cheers
John 

0 Ratings