cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sable
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Email address

I'm confused!  My address is a btinternet.com address.  It used to be btopenworld.  What happens is that sometimes my mail appears to go from one account and at other times it goes from the other.  This confuses recipients and I have just had a message from a retailer to say the email address I have quoted is not correct.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Email address

@btopenworld and @btinternet are totally interchangeable, presumably you are sending from different devices that are configured differently.

0 Ratings
Sable
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I was told by bt 'chat' this afternoon that the btinternet is my primary email address and btopenworld is a secondary address?  I asked him to get rid of the btopenworld address - which he said he had.  Interestingly, though, I have just sent an email and the openworld address has been used.  Hmmm.

As far as I am aware, my devices aren't configured differently - not by choice anyway.  I only want emails to go from the btinternet address - causing so much confusion.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

@Sable wrote:

I was told by bt 'chat' this afternoon that the btinternet is my primary email address and btopenworld is a secondary address?  I asked him to get rid of the btopenworld address - which he said he had.  Interestingly, though, I have just sent an email and the openworld address has been used.  Hmmm.

As far as I am aware, my devices aren't configured differently - not by choice anyway.  I only want emails to go from the btinternet address - causing so much confusion.

Hi.

I'm afraid Chat told you wrong. They cannot "get rid" of the btopenworld address, it's the same as already mentioned. It is not a secondary address.

@In your device settings, where it says username - do you have @btinternet.com as part of the address ? If not, add it.

It is in webmail that the issue can occur. It is possible to "add" the other email address as an associated address then set that as the default when sending emails.

By default, different people will have btinternet.com or btopenworld.com as the "default" depending on when they joined the service. Initially from 1995 it was btinternet.com, then from around 2001/2 it was btopenworld.com, then changed back to btinternet.com a few years ago.

Both of the addresses are interchangeable with regard receipt and sending emails. However they are are in essence separate if using one or the other as a login to a website for example.

When you say you just sent an email, may I ask from which device using what method ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

BT chat were telling you a load of old tosh as usual. An email sent to xxx@btopenworld.com will arrive at the same recipient as a mail sent to xxx@btinternet.com. How are you sending mail, webmail or client. Somewhere you have set your 'From' address as btopenworld.com rather than btinternet.com.

Typing as Andy posted.

0 Ratings
Sable
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Right, here we go

Yes, btinternet is definitely on my username.

I was originally btopenworld (in 2001) and then it was changed to btinternet.

I was using my main computer, with BT Yahoo mail.

I sometimes use Thunderbird, where my address is btinternet.com

I sometimes use my iPad, where my address is btinternet.com

How could have I set my 'from' to btopenworld?  How do I change it?

My main concern is that I have experienced two retailers querying the fact that sometimes messages go from one address and sometimes from another - they have refused me access to an account/used it as a 'reason' for my not receiving their replies.

Yes, I was dubious about Chat.  I gave him excellent feedback, too, despite the fact that I really struggled to understand him when he phoned (we started on-line but then went via telephone) 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Just send a test email from each of the devices you use and see which one arrives with Btopenworld, then we can advise how to change it. Just create a gmail address to send to if you haven't already got one.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@Sable wrote:
I was originally btopenworld (in 2001) and then it was changed to btinternet.

I was using my main computer, with BT Yahoo mail.

I sometimes use Thunderbird, where my address is btinternet.com

I sometimes use my iPad, where my address is btinternet.com

How could have I set my 'from' to btopenworld?  How do I change it?

From the above, it is webmail as expected which is the culprit.

If you login to webmail :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

then make sure you're on the "full featured" display version. This will be obvious if there is a cog on the top right. Click or hover over the cog and click Settings.

Once the settings window appears, click the Writing email option. You will see the email address in the default sending account.

@You can add a send only address in the box (in your case your email address ending @btinternet.com), and click Verify. You should get an email in the same mailbox with a link to click to verify that you own the email address.

You should then be able to set it as default sending account, or click the down arrow when composing an email and choose the correct address.

I've just tried, but have yet to receive a verify email ... The resend option in another section doesn't work either. Looks like a complete mess - at least for me using 2 different browsers.

This used to be easy to achieve ...

0 Ratings
Sable
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Have just followed your instructions.  Hasn't worked.  Neither has the re-send.  I just about give up.  Thank you for trying.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

As you've installed Thunderbird why don't you use it as a matter of course? It's more user friendly and more secure than webmail, especially BT's.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings