Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Email alias

Go to solution

Hi There

I've just been moved from BT Yahoo Mail to the new BT Mail. It appears that there is now no way to set up an 'Alias' address. To explain further:

I have a personal domain - lets call it 'mydomain.com'. On this domain I have an email address eg name@mydomain.net. When an email is sent to this address it is forwarded automatically to my bt.internet.com address and I could read this on BT Yahoo Mail. When I want to send an email from BT Yahoo Mail it is sent with a 'Return to' address of name@mydomain.net. BT Yahoo Mail allowed me to configure this email address as an 'alias'. Unfortunately, I cannot see how to do this with the new BT Mail. It is essential for me to be able to send out my emails from this alias address

Is this possible?

If not, is there a work-around?

Thanks for any help!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: Email alias

Go to solution

Hi @oldchris,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. We don't support that feature on our webmail client right now. It's not on our immediate plans but we will look into it to see if it's feasible to add in the future. The workaround would be to use an email client, rather than webmail. Most email clients allow you to either on a per message basis to add a “Reply To” address or to configure a “Reply to” for that account as part of the settings so you don’t have to do that for each message. It could be worth looking into. There are free email clients out there too.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Hi DanielS,

Your reply is a huge disappointment.
I too have just been changed over from BTYahoo to BTmail and this loss of alias is a major blow. BTmail will be much less useful than BTYahoo was.

I have used many different aliases in BTYahoo, two of them regularly for both personal mail and private business, some other aliases when chasing scammers.

I have also used these 2 primary aliases in my Outlook and Gmail accounts, but much preferred to use BTYahoo. If what you say is true, I'll have to abandon BT and revert to Gmail.

What hope can you offer please?

Many thanks and regards,
                                                Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

I should add that mail to those alias addresses has been automatically diverted into my BTYahoo account, so emails were both sent and received in BTYahoo - a great feature of that service which will be major loss in BTmail.
I'll have to revert to Gmail and divert them there, although I preferred the BT system when with Yahoo.
Still hoping for better news from BTmail.
                                                                            Mike 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

You could always get a Yahoo email account and use that if Yahoo is the one you prefer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I currently run 2 different email systems. The BT one sends & receives for the aliases.  It also handles my direct BT emails. I want to keep the direct BT emails operating, so a Yahoo account would add a 3rd email system which I very much hope to avoid.

Rather than setting up a Yahoo account or reverting to Gmail, the strong preference would be for BTmail to incorporate this feature which was a valuable part of BTYahoo.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Unfortunately going by what the moderator has said I doubt that BT will be introducing that any time soon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Because of the inability of BT Mail to use aliases I am now having my mail forwarded to Gmail which handles aliases without problem. I will thus be no longer using BT Mail.

What a retrograde step BT has made with this new Mail system.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

I have been a loyal user of BT for decades (and a shareholder). I accepted their withdrawal of the Web-space, which deleted my website many years back, but I cannot accept this loss of the alias feature.

For one of my domains I have a dedicated Outlook email system which is working well and must remain.

My BTYahoo account (and now BT mail) is used for general on-line purchases, memberships, enquiries etc. and will have to remain for the near future. However, for my other key domain which also used the BTYahoo system I've now had to divert incoming email to Gmail and to reconfigure that to email out under the alias for that domain.
All of the history for that domain is in the emails stored on the BT site - so now I'm obliged to maintain and monitor 3 email systems.

BT's "improvements" are a huge disappointment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Many thanks   for the suggestion to go to Yahoo mail.

I now have Gmail working for the alias, but don't like the Gmail system.
Yahoo no longer accept new "Extra Address" aliases - but by happy chance I already set up the Alias I need in Yahoo when I tried it some years ago so am now moving to Yahoo, as you suggested. 

Question please - how can I transfer my ex BTYahoo mail directories full of past emails (now within BTMail) across to my Yahoo account? I tried looking for means to back-up those directories and then restore them to Yahoo, but can find no relevant help. 

If such a transfer is possible for a bear of little brain - I'd greatly appreciate guidance please.
Many thanks, Mike 

0 Ratings