Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
david2408
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Email and poor English from BT Call centre

Go to solution

I have had an email problem. My BT Yahoo account has one sub-account, my wife. But for the last week, for some inexplicable reason, I have started receiving emails sent to my wife from her contacts (not mine), both in my BT Yahoo acoount and in Outlook Express. I emailed the BT help centre but those good folk in India are worse than useless. Firstly, I don't have a phone attached to  my computer,  but no matter how many times I provide an alternative phone number, the landline we use for our BT calls, they keep ringing me on my non-existent computer phone ( I use the line only for  only for my modem connection)  and then say they can get no reply ! Aghhh...

To make matters worse, the email I have received from downtown Bombay, is full of mis-spellings, grammatical errors, comedy flowery language and reads like it could have been a script written for Peter Sellers. For God's sake, these people are supposed to be in the communications business. The sooner BT returns its call centres to the UK the better. I dread having to contact BT's Indian-based call centres because the result is always the same.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Email and poor English from BT Call centre

Go to solution

david2408,

You should be able to get more help in this forum.

You need to check if the emails are being addressed to you or being redirected to you via your wife's email address.

This can be done by looking at the header information in the email and not relying on what is displayed in the From address. If you need help in doing this please ask .

Can you tell us if these are "sensible" emails or spam and is it from all your wife's contacts are just a few ?

If the emails are appearing in your BT Yahoo Webmail then they will also be downloaded to Outlook Express.

0 Ratings
david2408
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for the reply. They are all "sensible" emails from my wife's contacts, both business and friends. I have been receiving every single one of them - the first time it has ever happened, as I said. They are being -re-directed to me. She also receives all of them, by the way

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the additional informatiion.

The first thing to do is to check the sub account. (The following is based on Classic Mail, later versions may be slightly different)

Using your browser login to the subaccount.

Click on My Account  that is next to the Sign out.

You should get a "Welcome to your account" screen

In Quick Links  

Click on "Manage Mail Options"

Click on Filters and see if any filters are set.  See what they do if any are there.

Click on POP and Forwarding and see if Forward your BT Yahoo Mail is selected

If it is deselect it and Save changes.

then sign out.

Report back please and we can investigate further.

0 Ratings
david2408
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I did what you suggested and cannot find anything at all. However, this morning my wife's emails stopped arriving in m inbox and I can only conjecture that the Boys in Bombay did something to stop it. I will keep your suggestions handy and will know what to do if it happens again. Once again, thanks. Am I the only one who thinks dealing with BT's Indian call centre is a nightmare?

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

David2408,

Several people have nightmare dialogues with the call centre.  My experience is that unless the problem is straightforward and covered by their script it is hard going trying to communicate with them. I usually escalate fairly rapidly or report my problem by email which seems to produce better results.

Raising an issue in this forum is also usually helpful particularly if it can be easily described.

Your problem is one that I have not come across and would be surprised if the call centre has fixed it but fingers crossed somebody has. 

I would have waited until after Monday evening to mark it solved in case someone else contributed here.

0 Ratings
david2408
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

How right you are about the call centre. If you deviate from their script and ask supplementary questions, they are lost. I have nothing against call centres in India or anywhere else in the world but if they are in the business of communicating with customers in England their Englsh and communications skills should not be third rate. Even if you email them, which I did initially, they ignore your request for a response by email and then try to phone - in my case using my modem line whch has no phone attached. The initial response I received by email was full of mis-spellings, clumsy sentences and comedy language. By the way, I was a little hasty.. I should have waited before closing this problem. Thanks again. I am new to this forum and it seems to me it might be a much better option for advice than  the ordeal of ringing a call centre in India ...

0 Ratings
HONDA
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

bt bring back you call centres back to England

I don't like having to call  India all the time so now if I can fix it I do . trying to talk to them is a waste of time

having to repeat  all the time 

0 Ratings