cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Email attachment saving

On receiving an email with an .doc attachment, clicking on the attachment I only have the option to open the document (selecting an appropriate program) - however I don’t have MS word. I cannot use the Microsoft on-line software because I don’t have document to load - catch 22. I’m using windows 10 with the mail programme (not outlook) and these are all upto date. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

p.s. I know the attached .doc is okay because I can open it on my iPad!!!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Email attachment saving

If you don't have Microsoft Office on your computer you will need to have some other Office program that can handle documents.

You could download the free Apache OpenOffice which is a free open source program and replicates many of the Microsoft Office programs and can open the Microsoft format used for documents etc.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Cannot you open it in wordpad? If memory serves, an attachment has an icon and an address, if you click on address the file opens but if you click on the icon the file is saved to your computer. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

No need to install anything, just right click the attachment and you will get options to Open or Save.  Once saved you can open it online.  (I'm assuming you mean you are using the Mail program built into Win 10).  As suggested, Wordpad can also open Word documents which are simple text - no graphics or fancy formatting.

0 Ratings