cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Email autofill

Go to solution

I spent almost an hour trying to update the autofill option on my 91 yr old mother-in-laws account. She keeps sending emails to old accounts and I have discovered that she is using this feature which throws up all sorts of out-of-date information when she composes an email.

I have yet to discover anyone who has successfully been able to solve this problem but if it is possible please let me know.

As far as I can see this function cannot be edited and I presume the addresses that get suggested are taken from some form of cache on BT servers. BT should either ditch this feature altogether or put effort into coding it correctly so that it can be updated.

Would welcome any input from BT support!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Email autofill

Go to solution

Have you deleted the cache and cookies from your mil's browser

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Is your mother in law on the BTMail or BTYahoo email system? 

If you are not sure log onto the email account and look at the BT logo. If you see Yahoo  she is on the BTYahoo system.

On the BTYahoo system, log onto the email account and start to compose an email. In the "To" address bar work your way through the alphabet. When you enter a letter which has a contact associated to it a list will appear allowing you to select the contact. If you hover over the contact it will reveal a X on the right hand side. Click on it and it will remove the contact from the "auto fill list".

If she is on the BTMail system log onto the email account and click on the contacts icon. This will bring up the contacts folder. Scroll down the left hand side and you will see "auto complete". Click on it and it will bring up a list of all the auto complete email addresses that are stored. Select the ones you want clear out and click  the "More" button then "delete".

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks so much for this - it works fine on her BT Mail so I will be able to edit her contacts so that she can use autofill with no problems ...phew!

Why aren't these instructions more prominent on the help system? Also why is BT still maintaining two email systems - usrely this must be very confusing and expensive?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@PaulEChapmanwrote:

Also why is BT still maintaining two email systems - usrely this must be very confusing and expensive?

They have not answered this question for over 5 years since migration from BTYahoo to BTMail was permanently stopped in Sep 2014. They get aggressive and defensive if they are questioned on this topic. They have never been transparent about it, and will not be doing so any time soon.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Andy_N wrote:

They get aggressive and defensive if they are questioned on this topic. They have never been transparent about it, and will not be doing so any time soon.

Andy, you keep saying that. Can you explain what you mean by aggressive, did "they" threaten to  punch you, kick you or use some other form of attack against you!

0 Ratings