cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Email being blocked by server

Both myself and my husband have btinternet emails and have suddenly stopped receiving emails from our daughter’s school which are sent through a mailing system. I have contacted the school and they have spoken to their IT department, who say the issue is not at their end. I know that other people who are not with BT are still receiving the emails.
I spoke to BT help, who advised I set up a filter on my account to allow the email through, however this has made no difference, as the emails are presumably not reaching the server in the first place, so the filters are irrelevant.
This is not the first time this has happened with email not being received in the server, despite being repeatedly sent, but obviously these are important emails that are now not getting through.
I do not know if yahoo (BT use their servers for my email) have changed some settings on their servers that are now causing more email to be blocked, but I need to get this sorted out.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email being blocked by server

The pragmatic solution is to create a Gmail address and get the school to contact you via that.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

You could also get the school IT department to ensure that their domain SPF/DKIM/DMARC policies are configured correctly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

@Lol07mar09wrote:

Both myself and my husband have btinternet emails and have suddenly stopped receiving emails from our daughter’s school which are sent through a mailing system. I have contacted the school and they have spoken to their IT department, who say the issue is not at their end. I know that other people who are not with BT are still receiving the emails.
I spoke to BT help, who advised I set up a filter on my account to allow the email through, however this has made no difference, as the emails are presumably not reaching the server in the first place, so the filters are irrelevant.
This is not the first time this has happened with email not being received in the server, despite being repeatedly sent, but obviously these are important emails that are now not getting through.
I do not know if yahoo (BT use their servers for my email) have changed some settings on their servers that are now causing more email to be blocked, but I need to get this sorted out.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

I'm afraid BT are denying it's anything to do with them, and have continually done so with similar reports over the months. The fact that emails to none BTinternet addresses get through, and many of us recommend using Gmail accounts, only leads to one conclusion - BT are right, and everyone else is wrong.

BT won't do anything - they might whitelist an individual business one at a time, rather than sort out the underlying problem. I don't know how they can suggest putting in filters if you're not seeing anything at all!

Have the school IT department had relevant bounce messages? If so, they might wish to contact BT on behalf of all the BTinternet recipients.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I have often thought about transferring my email to gmail, but had enough aggravation when I transferred it to BT in the first place (so wish I hadn’t now). 

I will contact the school on Monday and see if their IT department can let me know whether they’ve had a bounce back email and if so what the message was. Unfortunately I believe the IT department have washed their hands of it, as they’ve already said the problem isn’t at their end!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Having a Gmail account makes things much simpler to change ISP rather than having an ISP tied email address. Just run both for a time until you can get all your contacts using Gmail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks. Isn’t a gmail email account an ISP tied email address? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

No, it is entirely independant, you can use it with any ISP.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I believe the school have now realised that the issue is more widespread to other BT users and are in contact with BT. Will wait to see if they resolve the problem. Thanks
0 Ratings