Hello. In the last week or so, any hyperlinks I have added to my emails have not been clickable for most recipients. As I'm a writer, and need to send live links to clients, this is a real nuisance. I've tried sending a test email to a gmail account I have for certain correspondence, and it's clickable there, but not when sent from my main BT email account. I've noticed that when clients reply to tell me the link hasn't gone through, I can't even see the link in the original message. Any ideas what has happened, and how I can resolve this please? It's embarrassing!
I have carried out a quick test. Apologies if my suggestion does not solve the problem. The assumption is you are using BT's webmail and not a client such as Windows Mail.
I see a different behaviour depending upon whether your emails are produced in either plain or rich text.
For both plain and rich, the best way to enter a link is to copy/paste from the source.
You can test all this by sending an email to yourself. I sent one each, plain and rich.
Thank you, yes, it is BT webmail. And I have copied and pasted the links from source. I will try what you suggest and let you know what happens. Checked my settings and I am in rich text, classic large font. Will try switching them.